Aren't Tuxedo Cats the smartest?

<p>I realize that a Tuxedo Cat is not a breed. But I've had 2 in my time and they've proven to be smarter and more affectionate than any of my other cats.</p>

<p>Anyone?</p>

<p>I've never owned one, but of the ones my friends have had, they've all been extremely friendly. :)</p>

<p>My vet once mentioned that he thought orange tabbies to be smart and affectionate. I've never owned one so I can't comment.</p>

<p>I have an orange tabby kitten that is about 12 weeks old now. She's very dainty and loving. My gray tabby (same age) is a wild man...LOL....but full of personality. He's getting fixed soon, so some of that will calm down a bit.</p>

<p>Don't tell my cat that. She thinks she is the smartest cat in the world. (I would have to agree.) She is a mackeral tabby. :cool:</p>

<p>I love Tuxedo cats and each one that I've known has been smart and affectionate. And they look great. However, we now have a Turkish Van and he is super smart, funny and second to none in all ways. So, I think it depends upon the cat, not the breed.</p>

<p>I love this thread, lol. Cats are smart and fab in general!</p>

<p>I am a recent new cat owner I had one as a child, but he wasn't nearly as entertaining as our current kitty. He was a bit anti-social and liked to spend all of his time outdoors. </p>

<p>She has one very bad trait that I am trying to break - she keeps scratching my couch. It's driving me crazy.</p>

<p>My friend had one for 10 or so years. His name was blacky, awesome cat, but he got pretty fat. He was killed because a neighbor complained and had him sent to the pound, where he would get put down if no one adopted him.</p>

<p>I have my daughter's tuxedo cat and she is a bully to my other 2 cats.</p>

<p>No. The smartest cats are calico cats. Maybe it has something to do with having the most diverse genes :)</p>

<p>I have 2 kitties, one calico and one white. Guess which one is as dumb as it gets and which one is as smart as a cat can be? :)</p>

<p>Actually, I had a tuxedo cat many years ago. He had 9 lives and went through them very, very quickly. Whether he was "smart" depends on how you define "smart". He was a wanderer, and adventurer and a risk taker. He was actually a stray that was adopted by my older, more sedated cat --- his name was Shamus and it was entertaining to hear stories from neighbors about what they had seen him doing, but I'd have to put him in the category of being too clever for his own good.</p>

<p>My calico Ms Kitty #1 was just like that: a restless wanderer who got in all sorts of trouble yet she lived for 15 years! The tips of her ears were missing because of severe frostbite. She ferociously hated dogs, so even the meanest, biggest dogs in our town learned not to approach Ms Kitty when she was sunbathing in the middle of our driveway... :)</p>

<p>I had a calico cat- she lived to be 21 & raised my youngest daughter. Seriously. ( she had night terrors/lots of tantrums as aspergery kids get overwhelmed easily- but momma kitty would seek her out when she was crying and would be the only one who could calm her down)</p>

<p>Very emphatic cat, but scary to the neighborhood dogs.( including our labrador- however when she was elderly, she would tolerate our dog in the same room)
Good hunter too. Brought home a side of salmon once that a local fisherman must have been cleaning that must have weighed as much as she did.
;)</p>

<p>"Brought home a side of salmon once that a local fisherman must have been cleaning that must have weighed as much as she did"</p>

<p>OMG, EK - once my Calico Ms. Kitty #1 brough home a fish head (I assume salmon - where the heck did she get it?) that was almost as big as the cat!!!</p>

<p>We had a tuxedo cat for 18 years. He had a perfectly round goatee and two freckles on his nose in addition to his other great markings. He was the light of my father's life.
He was extremely affectionate and clever. </p>

<p>My father (a retired military officer and executive with an MBA) has kept the cat's nail clippings in case cloning ever gets along far enough. Mom rolls her eyes.</p>

<p>My friend's tuxedo cat could fetch a ball.</p>

<p>I have a tuxedo cat now and he is VERY affectionate with me, but a little less so to the rest of the family. I wouldn't say he is the smartest cat I every had. We have had many cats of all colors over the years (black, white, gray, orange tabby, calico, brown tabby, tuxedo) I think that title would go to a brown tabby I had about 30 years ago. But I really saw no relationship between their intelligence and their color. If I was going to draw a conclusion from those I have had, I would say the black ones, in general, have been the smartest. </p>

<p>But on the other hand, this tuxedo as a stray did manage to find his way to our back porch early one morning and cry. We live in a very rural area, with no houses very close by. He was about 10 months old and VERY skinny and hungry (guess he was not a good survivalist). How and why he got here we have no idea. It took us weeks to get him to let us touch him. We would just put food out on the back porch. My elderly mother was living with us at the time and it became her mission to win his trust. Now we can't get rid of him, lol! And he still has a really big mouth - he has to announce everything.</p>

<p>I'm on my 3rd tuxedo cat. I've found them to be quite intelligent (as cats go) but not necessarily the most affectionate. The one we have now is kind of psycho, and has the loudest voice by far of any cat I have ever heard.</p>

<p>Okay -- I have had cats all my life...love them all (for the most part!)...but what the heck is a Tuxedo Cat??? Are we talking a black cat with white tummy markings?
All I know is our orange "Morris the Cat" allows us to not spend a dime on the exterminator. Rat man takes care of the yard! Is that smart? Probably not...and must taste disgusting....but he does earn his keep!</p>

<p>My 4-year old orange tabby, Ziggy, is clearly the smartest cat in the world. Then again, he's my second child, and he's Jewish (Ziggy is short for Siegmund) so what else would he be?</p>

<p>He recognizes his name and turns his head, whereas he won't respond to, say, "Piggy" or "Wiggy."</p>

<p>He once tried in vain to reach a hook and eye lock on a closet door so he could open it, and when he couldn't jump high enough, he actually pushed a chair with wheels over so he could stand on it, and then proceeded to push the lock open.</p>

<p>He anticipates: when he sees me heading for the place where I keep the plastic bags I use when I scoop out his litter box, he immediately runs to the door of my apartment, so he can attempt to escape to the hall when I leave to throw out the litter.</p>

<p>And so on. </p>

<p>Now that I've moved back in New York City, I'm preparing his applications to the very best pre-schools for the fall.</p>

<p>PS: He's also extremely affectionate, continually asks to be picked up (by standing against me with his paws raised as high as he can stretch them), and loves to be carried around like a toddler, for as long as 5 or even 10 minutes at a time.</p>

<p>But once in a while, usually at night, he turns into a savage beast (I can tell because his pupils get dilated and his tail starts swishing slowly from side to side), chases me around, and tries to bite my legs, and even jumps up sometimes to bite me in the rear! (I have little scars all over my legs.) The only thing that dissuades him is spraying him with water, but I can't carry a bottle around all the time!</p>