Art museums between Indiana and New Jersey

<p>In August, I will be driving from western Indiana to New Jersey.</p>

<p>Which art museums between those two states would you recommend? I can be flexible about my route.</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>If you can do some zig-zagging......
Cincinnati Art Museum - in a beautiful park.</p>

<p>Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh.</p>

<p>Not an art museum...but....Frank Lloyd Wright's Fall Waters home south of Pittsburgh is just spectacular....it's own work of art! (And...it contains artwork from some of the Kaufmann's many visitors.....)</p>

<p>Phily Museum of Art and Rodin Museum</p>

<p>Hope you've got lots of time!!!</p>

<p>The Indianapolis Art Museum is terrific. In Pittsburgh, I second the Warhol Museum and also suggest the Carnegie Museum of Art. If you're into contemporary art, try the Mattress Factory Art Museum in Pittsburgh. In the Delaware Valley--the Brandywine River Museum and Winterthur. Outside of Philadelphia--the Barnes Foundation (requires advance reservations). If you zigzag--Ohio has excellent art museums. In addition to Cincinnati, there's Cleveland, Dayton, and Toledo.</p>

<p>The FLW house is "Fallingwater".</p>

<p>I second, of course, the Philadephia Museum of Art, and also the Barnes Foundation in Bala Cynwyd (still, for a little while). Part of that is now closed in preparation for its move, but what's left is still mind-blowing. If you like furniture, etc., you might also like the Winterthur Museum in northern Delaware, outside of Wilmington. The Brandywine Museum is also near there, and has one of the largest collections of Andrew Wyeth paintings anywhere (it's where he lives).</p>

<p>I think the Indianapolis Museum of Art is worth seeing. But if you live in Western Indiana, you probably already have.</p>

<p>If you can, you should overshoot your mark for a day and visit the Storm King Art Center and Dia:Beacon, about 15 miles (and a river) apart in the central Hudson Valley, about 30 miles north of the Jersey border. The former is an amazing 500-acre outdoor museum of (mainly) monumental contemporary sculpture. I don't think there's anything remotely similar anywhere. The latter is a more conventional museum with very cool contemporary stuff, including some great Richard Serra sculptures and, when I was there last a fabulous Saul LeWitt exhibition that I think is supposed to remain in place at least through this year.</p>

<p>If you wanted to go farther out of your way, you could take I-90 through Cleveland (Cleveland Museum of Art), Buffalo (Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Darwin Martin House -- another Frank Lloyd Wright house/informative museum), and Rochester (Eastman House, Memorial Art Gallery), then maybe go down to Corning and the Corning Glass Museum and on to Storm King, etc. I'm sure there's cool stuff in the Finger Lakes, too, but I don't know where it is.</p>

<p>If you like Fallingwater and want to see more of FLW, there's another FLW house about 10 miles from FW--Kentuck Knob/Hagan House. it's one of FLW's Usonian houses and an interesting contrast to Fallingwater. If you get the urge to be outdoors, there's a wonderful garden outside of Philadelphia--Chanticleer in Wayne, PA. I saw it for the first time a few weeks ago when I went to help D2 move out of her dorm. I'm a garden groupie and and I have to say this one was exquisite.</p>

<p>Toledo has a new Glass Museum that is wonderful! The museum, itself, is all glass. They have interesting exhibits and glass-blowing demonstrations.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/28/arts/design/28sana.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/28/arts/design/28sana.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Philadelphia Art Museum is a "don't miss". (JHS- aren't you proud of me for not being negative about Philadelphia anymore? Probably helps that my entire salary is no longer heading that way .....)</p>

<p>Hello Adad, I just completed that trip on Monday.
Everyone has posted great ideas.
Outside of Bedford, PA, which was a good days drive heading east from South Bend, there is a quirky place called Gravity Hill. We almost went there, but decided to continue the trip.
The brochures for Gravity Hill were so clever, that alone enticed us. </p>

<p>Here check it out:
GRAVITY</a> HILL, Pennsylvania Phenomenon</p>

<p>In-laws spent an entire day at Fallingwater. They are big Frank Lloyd Wright fans.</p>

<p>^^^ do NOT stay at the Quality Inn in Bedford- Trip advisor reports were so misleading!!
Big mistake!</p>

<p>There is an article in today's NY Times about the Cleveland Museum of Art reopening in June after major renovations.</p>

<p>Cleveland</a> Museum in Frenzy to Get Antiquities Ready - NYTimes.com</p>

<p>Corning Museum of Glass
Corning</a> Museum of Glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</p>

<p>Chadds Ford, PA
Brandywine</a> River Museum - N. C. Wyeth, Andrew Wyeth, Jamie Wyeth, Wyeth, American illustration
N. C. Wyeth, Andrew Wyeth, Jamie Wyeth</p>

<p>Dayton has an impressive art museum for a city its size. I second the Corning and Chadds Ford recommendations. If you are going to be in the Brandywine area you might also consider stops at Longwood Gardens (botanical rather than art in a formal sense but certainly a cultural phenomenon) and the Winterthur Museum, which for furnishings and decortaive art is about as good as it gets.</p>

<p>
[quote]
If you zigzag--Ohio has excellent art museums. In addition to Cincinnati, there's Cleveland, Dayton, and Toledo.

[/quote]

Don't forget Columbus! Columbus Museum of Art (Columbus</a> Museum of Art ) is a fantastic small art museum, located downtown just off I-70. Unfortunately, CMA is in the midst of a major renovation so this summer is probably not the best time to visit, but for future readers of this thread, don't overlook Columbus!</p>

<p>I second the recommendation of the Dayton Art Institute. The</a> Dayton Art Institute</p>

<p>When you get to NJ, be sure to visit the Princeton Art Museum. It's a gem!</p>

<p>
[quote]
If you can, you should overshoot your mark for a day and visit the Storm King Art Center and Dia:Beacon, about 15 miles (and a river) apart in the central Hudson Valley, about 30 miles north of the Jersey border. The former is an amazing 500-acre outdoor museum of (mainly) monumental contemporary sculpture. I don't think there's anything remotely similar anywhere.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I <em>love</em> Storm King. It's an amazing place. Also a great place to bring a picnic. (There's a designated picnic area with tables. I don't think they would let you just plop down anywhere. :) )</p>

<p>Cincinnati and Cleveland are by far the best art museums in Ohio. Followed by Toledo, which has a glass museum attached. If you go through Cincy, I suggest going to the old railroad station, which is part museum of history (that's really good and shockingly large, extending way under the building). It's a freakishly gorgeous building and even has an old movie theatre that shows the old news reel films that would run continuously for travelers. </p>

<p>If you decide to go through Philly, you should look at the DuPont area not far away. Winterthur is almost overwhelming and there are several other museum / cultural attractions, ranging from the original DuPont homestead & works (which is very interesting) to Longwood Gardens, which is magnificent (and see the fireworks if possible). This is the same area as Chadd's Ford. Literally. </p>

<p>The mid-section of PA isn't great for art & culture - unless you're into the Johnstown Flood - but I have to mention Horseshoe Curve in Altoona. It's just a giant curve, a major engineering feat, but it's way cool.</p>

<p>Thank you all very much for your great suggestions. I am looking forward to a rewarding trip! :)</p>

<p>I'd like to bring to your attention the only art museum that I've been to in Indiana: the Ball State University Museum of Art,</p>

<p>Ball</a> State University Museum of Art</p>

<p>Thanks again!</p>

<p>I also recommend the Carnegie Museum of Art and the Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh, also Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob. All great. Have fun!</p>