At least 9 dead in church shooting in SC

quoteSeveral people were killed in a shooting at an historic African-American church in Charleston, South Carolina, a source close to the investigation told CNN.

The shooter is still at large.

The shooting took place Wednesday evening at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church, the oldest AME church in the South.

Police haven’t said how many people have been shot. But the source who spoke to CNN said several bodies were in the church that were yet to be identified.

“It’s really bad. It’s a very bad scene,” local pastor Thomas Dixon said.

“Apparently the person just entered the church and opened fire. That part has not been fully articulated on what happened yet … they are still looking for the suspect.”

Police said the suspect in the shooting is a clean-shaven white man in his 20s, with a slender build. He was wearing a gray sweatshirt, blue jeans and boots.

[/quote]

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/17/us/charleston-south-carolina-shooting/index.html

Absolutely horrific. What a terrible, terrible act from a despicable human being. I hope they catch the terrorist alive rather than giving him an easy out in death.

How horrible and terribly sad. Those innocent people. I wonder if he knew his victims or if this was some random act.

I’m not sure I want the guy caught alive. I understand the “easy out” concern, but it might be even harder on the families and survivors knowing that this evil person gets to live and breathe while their murdered loves ones do not.

Really, if he had some sort of “agenda” it is better for him to not be taken alive so we don’t have to hear his BS.

Ok, that’s fair. I guess I’d just rather let him rot.

Actually, I’d leave it up to the families- let them decide what they want done.

OMG, so horrible! So sad for the families of the victims and the entire congregation. I hope they catch this coward as soon as possible. Why would anyone do such a thing? Nut jobs with guns. Never a good combo.

People continue to frown upon me when I support more regulations on gun ownership. :expressionless:

One witness said the killer told them he had to do it because “you rape our women and you’re taking over our country”.

I just heard the gunman sat in on the bible study for about an hour before he shot them. And he explained why he had to do it to them.

I’m with romani, let him rot for the rest of his live. Death is too good for him.

The latest reports have him still at large. Where did you see this?

Sorry, @Marsian. I read wrong! I guess that’s what you get when you’re still half asleep. Again sorry for the confusion!

Niquii77 – I just wish you’d be right.

The good news it he has been identified. It’s only a matter of time before he is found. I have faith in this.

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/south-carolina-residents-react-to-church-shooting-467313731526

"Sylvia Johnson, a cousin of church shooting victim Pastor Clementa Pinckney says she spoke with one of the survivors “and she said that he had reloaded five different times… and he just said ‘I have to do it. You rape our women and you’re taking over our country. And you have to go.’”

Being from a heavily Amish populated area, I was struck by how Amish (in English clothes) the shooter looked.

I feel nothing, but great sadness. This young man is probably suffering from mental illness. Early twenties is a common age for onset. What type of cold, calculating killer sits through one hour of Bible study before committing his crime? I hope the families can draw upon their faith to give them strength in dealing with this tragedy.

They know who he is (Dylann Roof) and his license number. Twenty-one years old and dad gave him a pistol for his birthday.

He looks creepily like Adam Lanza. He has prior arrests, drugs and trespassing.

In one of the pictures they’re showing of the killer, he’s wearing a jacket with white supremacist decals.

I am a bit perturbed by the news coverage, or lack thereof. It took many hours to even identify the shooter as a White guy. If this had been a Muslim who shot up a white/Jewish place of worship, I daresay there would’ve been more details and coverage.

I just looked up his FB page, and most of his friends are Black. What is odd, is that he only as 82 friends. That is a very low number for someone his age. I am sure we will soon hear, he was quiet, he was a loner, socially awkward, …

So why on earth would his father give him a gun?!?

I also have a question about the coverage. Why is the license plate called “distinctive,” but they don’t say what makes it so? They’ve released the license number.