<p>A local student athlete (a great student and a great athlete) has told the Sun Press newspaper he plans to major in business investment banking at Brown, where he is slated to play cornerback on the football team. My first thought on reading this was that the recruiters from Brown didn’t talk to him about what majors were offered at Brown. A second thought was “or did they tell him he could build an independent concentration in any field he was interested in?” How much do Brown athletic recruiters discuss academics with their recruits? I wonder.</p>
<p>I suppose this could have been a misquote, especially since it’s not set off in quotation marks. It could be that he said he wants a career in business or investment banking and the reporter misunderstood him.</p>
<p>It is his responsibility as an applicant to research the concentrations offered by Brown and to make sure the school has what he wants to study. I have no idea what recruiters say, but he needs to verify it.</p>
<p>My guess is the reporter got it wrong. Polley probably said he wants a job in investment banking. He’s probably thinking about majoring in COE (commerce, organizations and entrepreneurship).</p>
<p>^fireandrain’s take is my take too.
The reporter misread his/her notes and put “major in” instead “would like to be.”
I’m happy to predict Mr. Polley’s life in the near future.
He will concentrate in COE or Econ, with several hundred other athletes, take the beloved Barrett Hazeltine’s entrepreneurship course, NOT play in the I-AA postseason (because the Ivy Presidents will still have blocked it), NOT get drafted by the NFL, but WILL go to Wall Street and work as an investment banker. Go Bruno!</p>
<p>Since Investment Banking firms such as Goldman Sachs have been recruiting at Brown for such a long time, this is not such a strange thing to say to the press, or have the press report (if it was reporter error.) If he is in Econ or COE, or some math fields, even Physics, he will have a chance to be interviewed and perhaps recruited at some point, if they do so any longer, given the recent problems.</p>
<p>I do know top grads with multiple honors who not get positions they would have been expected to get when they entered. (They went to grad school instead, and will be masters of the universe in the next wave.)</p>
<p>I would not for a moment believe that recruiters would give misinformation about majors offered. And he must be very serious to take Brown over a higher profile football school, so good for him, he MUST be Brown material. yay!</p>