B.S. Math to M.S. Finance

<p>What are the job prospects for the M.S. Finance? Is it a good investment? The only remotely-related course I've taken is intermediate macroeconomic theory. It's not really related at all. Basically, I'm looking at non-technical-to-slightly-more technical graduate programs that might yield a nice return after graduation. I'm a few years outside the undergrad curve, so that monetary concern is probably the most important one right now. No I-banking.</p>

<p>What industry have you been working in? If you don't want to work in investment banking you can use an MSF to get into F500, commercial banking, equity research, trading, etc. All lucrative. Just depends on work experience and desires job upon completion of your degree.</p>

<p>Well, I've been working in economic development for the past three years. I graduate in May with a B.S. Math and Physics Minor. Economic development requires a lot of networking, salesmanship, and so forth. That's not really what I enjoy. I'm not sure what all finance and its subsets entail. Basically, I know nothing of finance, but I'm just poking around seeing if anything piques my interest. From my cursory look into the various aspects of finance, corporate valuation, determining how to value companies, assets, and such for the purposes of acquisitions or capital investment/management kind of seems interesting. If I had to guess, it's probably more research-oriented and slightly quantitative.</p>

<p>I'd make sure to do some research and understand the different parts of finance and what you really want. Do some preliminary networking now and speak with some professionals in fields you think you would want to work in. A MSF goes by very quickly and you need to know what you want before you start.</p>