B-schools + Upenn/Berkeley/Northwestern

<p>Hi everyone,
I'm an international student hoping to enroll at one of the following universities in Fall 2012. </p>

<p>Upenn [Economics]
Northwestern [Economics]
Berkeley [Economics]
NYU [Business/Stern]
University of Michigan [Business/Preferred admit to Ross]
Carnegie Melon [Business/Tepper]
USC [Business/Marshall]
Boston University [Busness]</p>

<p>If you chance me, I'll try to chance you back :)</p>

<p>I'm doing the IB Diploma:
Predicted Grades
Economics HL - 7
English A1 HL - 6
Film Studies HL - 7
Mathematics SL - 6
Spanish B SL - 6
Physics SL - 6</p>

<p>IGCSE Grades [these are British examinations that I took in Year 11 [Sophomore Year]]
English Language - A*
Economics - A*
Mathematics - A*
Media Studies - A*
Science (Double award) - AA
English Literature - A
Spanish - B</p>

<p>SAT scores [all in one sitting]</p>

<p>710 CR
720 Writing
700 Maths
2130 composite</p>

<p>Subject tests
700 Math 2
570 Literature [obviously had an off-day...]
My math score is decent, but my literature score is terrible. How severely does this hurt my chances? I'm taking the same two tests again in December.</p>

<p>Leadership Positions
Founder of online student marketplace for students nationwide [3000+ unique visitors in a couple of months]
Founder of TV channel within school
President of Oddball Marketing Group (school’s marketing channel)
Head of Film for a student-led fashion show
Head of Advertising for student cultural evening
Organizer and Master of Ceremony for school film awards
Team leader for NGO case competition
House Captain
School Prefect
Student council representative</p>

<p>Extra Curricular
Trained peer mentor
Six years of playing drums
School A-Grade football team [highest level in high school]
School A-Grade cricket team [highest level in high school]
Led film seminars at a primary school</p>

<p>Community Service
24 hour sponsored silence
Volunteer for Operation Smile
English teaching at government schools in China
English teaching at orphanages in Thailand
Volunteer at ESF sports camp [for children under 8]</p>

<p>Awards
School academic awards in ICT, Spanish
Winner of 48 hour film festival [in a group of 6 - the competition was for students within my city]</p>

<p>Work Experience
Student Assistant at a primary school</p>

<p>Thank you! I appreciate your time and effort.</p>

<p>Bump. (10char)</p>

<p>UPenn-high reach, pretty unlikely for you sorry
Northwestern-reach
Berkeley-reach</p>

<p>The rest I'd say are potentially low reaches to high matches aside from Boston University which is a match</p>

<p>Impossible to answer without knowing the money situation. Are you asking for any financial aid? If yes, what percent?</p>

<p>No, I do not require financial aid. I may apply for a scholarship at USC but otherwise the money situation is fine :)</p>

<p>I would say they are all high reaches except USC, BU, NYU and Michigan. </p>

<p>If your essays truly accentuate the meaning of your ec's and your involvement, then your chances will be catapulted exponentially. However the utterly low lit score will hurt; not drastically, but it will have an impact.</p>

<p>What'd you get on the December scores?</p>

<p>Grades are mediocre for the schools you are applying to. Because you are international and don't need financial aid, that puts you in a whole new category. Consequently, it is hard to judge your chances, especially at the ivy-caliber schools. </p>

<p>Good luck though! You look like a great applicant!</p>

<p>just get those satII scores up (;
You're extracurriculars look interesting just makesure you bring out your passion in them
Anyways goodluck to you! Regardless of what anyone says here, i would apply if I were you and just write a kickass essay</p>

<p>Nice Predicteds, very high.<br>
I think upenn might be a high reach with ur SATs and your ECs are good, but not something that make you stand completely out from all applicants.</p>

<p>However, for NYU, NW, BU, and Mich, i think they're all very low reaches for you. </p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>NICE!!!!! I can better judge your chances if you could somehow let me read your comm app main essay?</p>

<p>I would say all reaches except NYU and BU. Those might be low reaches or high matches.</p>

<p>Thanks for your opinions everyone :)</p>

<p>@ProcrastinArtist: I haven't done the December tests yet haha, they're next week!</p>

<p>Bump (10char)</p>

<p>Bump (10char). Any feedback would be appreciated!</p>

<p>Why aren't you applying to Wharton at Penn?</p>

<p>Literature score updated to 660 - not as terrible as before! Any chances now would be appreciated! :)</p>

<p>@dfree124: My chances at Wharton are very, very small in my honest opinion so therefore I'm opting for econ.</p>

<p>660 is still low for elite schools. I don't think every college on your list needs to see the SAT IIs though...</p>

<p>For chances, it's hard to say since you are an international student. Not needing financial aid will help. Your ECs are good, but it depends on how you elaborate on them in your essays. For example, your Why Penn essay will have to be really strong since they'll be wondering why you're interest in business hasn't opted you to apply for Wharton. I would venture to say that even though Penn overall is a reach for you, you should apply to Wharton. You have business-related ECs, and you want to study business. Chances for CAS vs Wharton are 12 vs 9. It's not THAT much more difficult, and I think it's worth it. </p>

<p>I think most of the schools are reaches except NYU, USC, and BU. You'll probably get into UMich, but preferred admit is also going to be a reach. </p>

<p>Honestly, it depends on your essays. Strive to be memorable, unique, and personal. Illustrate your passions, your personality, your abilities. Do that, and you increase your chances a ton. Show your quirky interests also -- I also love film, so I used that. Good luck!</p>

<p>Chance me back?
<a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/1256342-chance-me-wharton-harvard-columbia-etc.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/1256342-chance-me-wharton-harvard-columbia-etc.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>