Bad Situation

<p>I'm in quite a pickle at the moment. My parents did their FAFSA and needless to say my dad as a clinical trial manager got nothing from it. But now my parents are refusing to pay for my college and I need to get loans. Where can I get loans and what loans should I get?
I'm a senior in Highschool
I do have 10,000 euro in a bank account that I can get when I turn 21.
I already put my deposit down for Penn State Brandywine for the first 2 years, then I'll go to main campus.
Unemployed at the moment.</p>


<p>Your parents are just telling you this NOW? You're only eligible for $5500 in Stafford loans for freshman year. Any private loans you get would certainly need a cosignor.</p>

<p>Yeah, aren't they just dolls. I didn't see it coming but other people did. So are there no other aids that I could apply for?</p>

<p>You need to go meet with your guidance counselor tomorrow morning. He/she has seen this kind of thing before, and will be able to suggest other ways of paying for your education. You may need to work part-time and study part-time, but you can indeed get an education.</p>

<p>Wishing you all the best.</p>

<p>Yeah that was my plan, people have told me this. I was just hoping there could be some loans available that people could suggest that have worked well for them.</p>

<p>How is it that the OP has euro in the bank? OP isn't international because he was able to complete the FAFSA. Is the money banked offshore? Please explain.</p>

<p>Also, how did you think you were going to be paying for college? Is this issue with your parents a new one, or is this something that has been an issue all along?</p>

<p>Since you're talking about having 10,000 euros, are you an international student? If so, you are not eligible for Stafford loans, which is for American citizens only. You may have difficulty working in the US. If you are indeed international, it may not be possible for you to go to Penn State.</p>

<p>he's not an international student. he moved here a few years ago and is an american citizen. His parents flipped over a small issue and now refuse to pay for college. just need some suggestions on where to get loans. thats it. donezo</p>

<p>I was born and grewup in Germany, when my aunt passed away, she left me 20,000 marks, which is now 10,000 euros. I am an american citizen. And my parents just told me this today.</p>

<p>correction: parents just told him about the 'no money for college' part today</p>

<p> is it that you know so much about this OP? </p>

<p>Re: loans...banks are very concerned about giving unsecured loans. In other words, they are not going to loan you money if you don't have the collateral to get their money if for some reason you default on your loan payments. The likelihood of a person getting any substantial loan without a job or without a co-signer is VERY low...VERY. This student, if a U.S. citizen, is eligible for the Stafford loan in his own name. Other than that, he would be looking at private bank loans which would require a cosigner. </p>

<p>If the finances don't work out, the only thing lost is the deposit. Is there a college within commuting distance (either a community college or four year school) where the OP could go to school, live at home (at less cost than living on campus), and work? He could work full time and go to school part time. </p>

<p>If the parents "flipped over a small issue", perhaps he should try to reconcile this small issue. It might be worth it to have some help with college AND a relationship with his family.</p>

<p>Lets just keep it at that parents are very controlling. They would dangle my tuition money over me like a donkey with a carrot and I don't want that. If not this issue, then some other small and insignificant thing. The college doesn't have a dorm, thus I would be commuting anyway, and my tuition is around 11,000 with around a 1,500 scholarship, and with a stafford loan it would decrease to around 7,000-6,000.</p>



<p>Then it sounds like you need to get a job, work full time and go to school part time. It will take you longer, but you will not have this financial issue with your parents.</p>

<p>could some one just please explain where he could possibly look for a loan? Not some one who is going to try to find an alternate solution? just loans. thats all we need.</p>

<p>Do you think this could affect the 2 and 2 penn state plan? Where you do 2 side-campus and then 2 years main?</p>

<p>I think community college might be a good solution for you. You could transfer to a good four year school as a junior. That would probably be more doable than what you have right now. I'm so sorry about your parents!!</p>

could some one just please explain where he could possibly look for a loan? Not some one who is going to try to find an alternate solution? just loans. thats all we need.


We can't. He will be unable to get loans other than Stafford without an adult co-signer (generally over 25) with excellent credit. That's why alternate ideas are being proposed.</p>

<p>I talked to my counselor, he suggested that I call the campus and find out what the school can do for me. Other than that, I can try to apply to as many scholarships as possible. He did suggest other loans that I can apply too, but he said we would talk about that after I called the campus and found out what they can do for me.</p>

<p>mstaschen, I do hope this works out for you. Your counselor is giving you some advice that will likely not net you much. The reality is...what are you going to tell them? "My parents and I had a disagreement and now they won't pay for college. Is there anything the college can do for me?" The reality is that the answer will likely be no...unless there is significant evidence of abuse or something of that sort. In cases like that, the finaid folks have some leeway in declaring a student independent...BUT that does not necessarily guarantee that the school will have some loan source for you or additional monies.</p>

<p>But it's worth a try. Please let us know how it turns out. Good luck.</p>

<p>How much do you need for the year? My advice would be for you to look for some local state options that you can afford and commute for this year. You can then perhaps look for transfer options if you do well. </p>

<p>You have joined the many kids whose parents won't or can't pay for college and do not qualify for aid. You may want to take a gap year and use Momfromtexas's method of finding a full ride scholarship.</p>