Bad to have my mom fill out applications?

<p>Hold your horses. I don't mean write my essays or any of that.
I'm speaking of the teacher and counselor rec forms, where you usually fill out some very general info out on the top of the sheet.
My handwriting is horrible, so is it bad to sit down with my mother and tell her what to write?</p>

<p>Why are you asking this? You should let common sense overrule your clicking finger sometimes...of course it's okay (provided your mom agrees).</p>

<p>Those forms typically ask little more than name, address and/or social security number - maybe senior classes in some cases too. Either ask your mom to print them carefully (not cursive) or find a typewriter and type them. The GC at my S's school suggested that kids could hire a typist if they have a poor handwriting and don't want to do the full app online. I see no difference between that and having someone with a better handwriting print them for you. Frankly, with all the info the adcomms are busy reading about the applicants, I can't imagine they pay much attention to the handwriting, unless it is glaringly out of keeping with the rest of the app or hard to decifer.</p>

<p>I see nothing wrong with that! My son has horrible handwriting as well and when it comes time to fill out applications (he's only a junior now), if they can't be done by computer, I'll probably hand write them. Don't sweat the small insignificant stuff. And filling out forms has nothing to do with your character or intelligence, which is what does matter</p>

<p>I think it should be ok, but there will come a point where you won't be able to have someone else write legibly for you, so maybe you should try to practice writing more neatly.</p>

<p>Do you really think they'll know? </p>

<p>I mean, its not like they have a memorized version of your letters. But daria is right, if your handwriting is that bad, that should be the last of your worries.</p>

<p>yeah, its fine.. i bet peoples parents are writing their kids essays too, so atleast you have some integrity.</p>

<p>"yeah, its fine.. i bet peoples parents are writing their kids essays too, so atleast you have some integrity."</p>

<p>I totally agree. My hs quarterback had his mom fill out his apps and do his hw because "he is so busy with football and everything." puke.</p>

<p>I think it's fine. It's not as if you're lying or cheating or anything. I don't see why there should be any problem with it</p>

<p>Use Abode Acrobat or Photoshop to type them. It'll look very neat and professional.</p>

<p>Yeah, type them in.</p>

<p>Last year there was an MIT adcom who wrote a blog, and during the admissions season she revealed, among other things, that she and the other adcoms are very annoyed when they can see that the application handwriting is different from the signature handwriting. They didn't consider having your mom wirite them to be cheating exactly - more like a form of laziness. They clearly frowned on it, and you don't want adcoms frowning and thinking you are lazy when they are reading your app.</p>

<p>No comment on the issue of college apps - but I personally have really messy handwriting and so does my son.... so I started having my younger daughter fill out all the various school forms for the family when she was SIX. You can imagine how bad our writing was if a 6-year-old could do a better job. (My son's college apps were filled out online & typed... but if there was anything that needed to be handwritten, he probably tagged his kid sister for that, too.)</p>

<p>We keep a typewriter in the attic for just this kind of situation - yes, this is how it was done in the old days - but I agree with the poster who said one should work on one's handwriting. I know it's rarely used - but it is part of who you are and part of how you will be judged (I still remember which of my boyfriends through the years had lovely handwriting and which had the handwriting of ax murderers). I think it's the same as learning how to spell. Spell-checker will not always be there. The computer will not always be there. Spend a little time and learn how to write so you don't have to be embarrassed.</p>

<p>Coureur, how do I type them in though?
Some of the adobe files don't allow me to fill anything in, like Brown or Penn</p>

<p>I think Brown wants you to hand-write everything, including your essays, for some bizarre reason. That would be the only app where you'd HAVE to do it yourself, because apparently they WANT to see YOUR handwriting. It does not matter who writes in the info on other forms.</p>

<p>hmm, but I'm doing the application online. Guess I'll fill out the teacher/counselor rec forms myself though if I can't type them in.</p>

<p>Way back in 1998, my daughter finally nixed Brown from her list in part because they asked for an essay written by hand, and her handwriting was very child-like. I asked at a Brown meeting about it - could she hand write it but send a typed copy too - and the rep said it wasn't really that big a deal if it was or wasn't handwritten. So perhaps those now interested in Brown might call and get a current reply before struggling through that hoop. </p>

<p>Ironically, she is now a HS teacher and her handwriting seems to have matured with her. But back then, we also worried a lot about the SAT2 Writing, fearing a child-like handwriting might somehow bias the grader. Indeed the books warn about that, but she did very well regardless. And my S's even worse handwriting didn't seem to impact on his SAT2 Writing or his AP US History exam essays. </p>

<p>Still, I agree with those who suggest that handwriting and spelling matter. I cringe at the shortcuts some of the younger generation use these days in email and on these boards. Just old fashioned, I guess :).</p>

<p>We asked at a Brown evening in town if they still wanted the hand-written essay; we were told that they didn't care.</p>

<p>My son also gave up on applying to Brown because of their requirement. Calling wouldn't have changed things - the fact that they HAD the requirement sent a strong enough message.</p>

<p>My son is dyslexic and dysgraphic. He didn't read until age 11. He had 700's on his SAT verbal & writing - without accommodations - and that's enough of an accomplishment for a kid who struggled with reading, writing, and spelling - without someone telling him that he needs to give up the one tool that has made things easier.</p>

<p>I'm dysgraphic. I didn't know it when I was young - I didn't have the word - but my father also has the same handwriting issues -- in fact, my father moved to a different state so he could type his bar exam. (I'm a lawyer too, and also typed my exam). My brother is also dyslexic & dysgraphic. These things run in families.</p>

<p>You don't have a clue how difficult it is. It isn't that I can't write neatly - its that I have to do it very, very slowly and I will invariably make mistakes, writing the wrong letter entirely - for handwriting, it may take me 3 or 4 attempts just to address an envelope. Form-filling is terribly daunting -- I actually have foregone applications for various professional awards because of the form I had to fill out -- I'll bet my son was the same when it came to scholarship applications. </p>

<p>Practice plus occupational therapy can help -- but I don't think it ever would be easy - it was a heck of a lot easier for me to learn to type. You might as well tell me that I ought to learn to see without my glasses. </p>

<p>This really isn't a unique problem. Dyslexia affects at least 15% of the population - it may be up to 20-25% who have undiagnosed dyslexia to some degree. I don't have stats on dysgraphia, but it is closely related and overlapping. </p>

<p>It could easily take me an hours to hand-fill out a one page form with a lot of boxes and lines. Every year the elementary school used to send home about half a dozen forms like that.. and when I realized that my 6 year old could whip through them neatly in about a third of the time it took me, without making any mistakes, I was very envious -- but obviously it is something inborn, like the fact that she could also sing on key when I couldn't. So we got lucky - we had one person in the family who was born with the talent of neat handwriting. </p>

<p>I am a published writer by the way. People who make judgments about others by their handwriting or spelling (like saying that someone has the handwriting of an ax murderer??? ) are simply ignorant --- its the same as judging someone's intellect because they speak with an accent. But obviously, that's just one more reason to type -- because if we write out an application by hand, someone is bound to judge us adversely because the handwriting looks shaky or juvenile.</p>

<p>Such an illuminating post, Calmom. Thank you. Our D was also put off by the whole idea of it as a measure and it definitely contributed to her decision not to apply to Brown. To my mind, Brown's loss was Grinnell's gain.</p>

<p>It also makes me wonder about whether a milder version of dysgraphia runs in our family. We never really gave it much thought - just figured people had poor handwriting. We always kid my H about his handwriting, since he makes his printed letters starting from the bottom not the top, and he never learned cursive. Neither child had an easy time learning to hold a pencil correctly, and they don't manage it all the time to this day. My dad could only print in caps and was an awful speller. </p>

<p>Thank you for taking the time to explain and for shedding some needed light on this topic. I hope there are some adcomms out there paying attention too!</p>