<p>From today’s Chronicle of Higher Education.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>.</p>
<p>From today’s Chronicle of Higher Education.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>.</p>
<p>This is scary. I wonder how many other institutions and businesses are in the same boat?</p>
<p>Lots are in trouble, if the fix does not happen soon, it will start slowly like dominos and then pick up steam. People are alread feeling the credit squeeze.</p>
<p>I had been wondering about this. I also wonder how much college endowments have been shrinking lately. Thanks for posting.</p>
<p>Thanks for posting this. I live in Charlotte and with all the angst about Wachovia I did not read (or hear on the news) about this particular fallout. </p>
<p>Another case of a “cash” investment not being as good as cash.</p>
<p>Follow-up story in yesterday afternoon’s Chronicle.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>From today’s Chronicle.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>To tsdad: Thank you for posting this information. I am keeping a close eye on your thread, as is my daughter (not a CC member), whose federal student loans are administered by Wachovia, and whose school might (or might not) have Wachovia-held Commonfund investments. I promptly alerted my daughter to Monday’s news that Wachovia had been sold to Citigroup, and I told her to expect further developments. I didn’t expect this sort of development.</p>
<p>Since you first posted, I have been trying to find out if my daughter’s school is among those impacted by Wachovia’s Commonfund freeze. I have performed multiple Google searches, researched Wachovia’s and Commonfund’s respective websites, and dug through my daughter’s (enormous) school website, which includes treasurer’s reports disclosing that the school has endowment-based and other assets (used for short-term debt repayment) on deposit with trustees, but not disclosing the name(s) of the financial institution(s) by which those assets are managed and/or invested.</p>
<p>If you should happen to run across a list of schools impacted by Wachovia’s Commonfund freeze, please post that list or a link to that list.</p>
<p>Thank you again for your post (a perfect example of CC’s value).</p>
<p>Thank you TC.</p>
<p>Have you asked your daughter’s college’s sfa office if they are going to be impacted?</p>
<p>To tsdad: No, I haven’t yet advised my daughter to make a direct inquiry. For now, she and I are trying to find this information in a quiet, behind-the-scenes manner. If we keep coming up dry, then it will be necessary for her to make a direct inquiry, because her FA package (federal loans, work-study, and a generous merit scholarship) is necessary for her to remain in school.</p>
<p>TC while I understand your concerns I wouldn’t be overly worried. Colleges will not demand that students pay debts from funds that colleges are supposed to give (or credit them with) that aren’t available to them (the students.) When checks to UW-Madison students were lost in the mail several weeks ago the university did not hold the students responsible and carried them until the checks showed up, which they did.</p>
<p>Any negative impact is going to be on the colleges not the students.</p>
<p>I called the comptroller of my S’s college and was given the name and number of the person in charge of the endowment.</p>
<p>In passing, I asked the Comptroller if I was reacting like Chicken Little. Her response was that fully informed parents usually were not a problem. That said, I’ve not yet heard back today from the person over the endowments.</p>
<p>Most colleges disclose that the tuition covers only a percentage of the actual costs. I wonder if things like food service contracts and other reoccurring expenses that directly and immediately effect the students are at risk.</p>
<p>Anyone know if there is a publically available list of the colleges and universities involved?</p>
<p>10-3-2008 CHE. Based on this article my attempt to reassure TC above may have been overly optimistic. Generally though, students receiving Federal financial assistance should be ok.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>To tsdad: Thank you for the additional information. (I have no problem with your premature optimism–I can be pessimistic enough for the both of us, believe me.)</p>
<p>I have been doing more digging to find out if my daughter’s school is impacted, and what I’ve learned so far doesn’t look good. I came across an up-to-date independent website which evaluates colleges on a number of administrative factors. My daughter’s school received an “F” for Endowment Transparency, with the comment, “The university has no known policy of disclosure of endowment holdings or its shareholder voting record.” The school also received a “C” for Investment Priorities (“The university aims to optimize investment return….”), and another “F” for Shareholder Engagement, with the comment, “The university has not made any public statements about active ownership or a proxy voting policy.”</p>
<p>My daughter’s school has a very large low-income/middle-income student enrollment, a large workforce, multiple campuses (including overseas campuses), and major building construction projects in progress at several campuses. Student tuition/fees is the school’s second largest source of revenue (exceeded only by health services patient care activities). About forty percent of the school’s investment return (a significant source of revenue) is either temporarily or permanently restricted. Most students qualify for FA, most graduate with significant loan debt, and by the time they repay their loans and take on household and family financial obligations, few have enough money left over to donate to the school. Therefore, the school’s endowment is small, relative to other schools of comparable size and academic stature. Right now, a small endowment might be advantageous (less money to invest and possibly lose) or disadvantageous (less money, period) for the school.</p>
<p>I am not concerned about my daughter getting hit with a reasonable tuition/fees increase (that is almost a given), but I am concerned about her merit scholarship (renewable for up to four years) being significantly reduced or even cancelled if the school should become strapped for operating funds. Without her merit scholarship, my daughter would either have to drop down to part-time status, or perhaps even drop out. She, her Other Parent, and I have been discussing various options for responding to such a personal financial crisis. Yes, I am pessimistic.</p>
<p>In the meantime (as 07DAD mentioned), becoming fully informed is key. I would rather be prepared for what might happen, than be unprepared for what does happen. So, my daughter and I will continue researching this matter privately, and we will continue keeping an eye on your most informative thread.</p>
<p>From today’s Chronicle of Higher Education</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>To tsdad: Thank you once again for another informative post.</p>
<p>Economics is not my strong suit, so at this point, I don’t know how the bailout/rescue will impact colleges and current/prospective college students. </p>
<p>In the meantime, my daughter and her Other Parent have voluntarily proposed some cost-saving options, none of which involve our daughter dropping down to part time, or dropping out.</p>
<p>I have been keeping up with the news about Citigroup’s and Wells Fargo’s legal clash over the impending acquisition of Wachovia. Interesting stuff.</p>
<p>A question: Once Wachovia is acquired, will Wachovia’s new owner–whether Citigroup or Wells Fargo–have the authority to reverse Wachovia’s decision to freeze Commonfund assets, or will Wachovia’s pre-acquisition decisions (including the Commonfund asset freeze) still stand?</p>
<p>TC I haven’t a clue on how to answer your questions.</p>
<p>You and others might find interesting how the classroom teaching of professors of economics is being impacted.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>To tsdad: Thank you for another thought-provoking post. It’s no problem that you couldn’t answer my question. (I wasn’t sure how to properly pose the question!) </p>
<p>I agree with Cristian Ioan Tiu’s argument in favor of helping the general populace become financially literate. I count myself (a college grad with additional grad-level training), my daughter’s Other Parent, and my mathematically accomplished daughter–whose intellectually razor-sharp CPA-turned AP Government/Economics teacher often told his equally intelligent but thoroughly befuddled Economics students (including my daughter), “Don’t overthink economic theory; I don’t even understand it!”–among the financially illiterate.</p>
<p>My daughter, her Other Parent, and I are all logical thinkers. We know that if we spend more money than we earn, we will eventually go broke. We know that if we live on borrowed money, our lives will be controlled by whomever we have borrowed that money. This is simple common sense, but when it comes to economic theory, common sense goes out the window. Economic theory makes no sense to us–or to most people–because it makes no sense, and in my opinion, any theory which lacks real-word application is nothing more than junk science.</p>
<p>I think that Tiu’s “average Joe” is in financial crisis not because he is incapable of understanding economics, but because he has been intentionally misled into abandoning common sense.</p>
<p>With a nod to Thomas Carlyle: Economics–the dismal science.</p>
<p>“Not a ‘gay science,’ I should say, like some we have heard of; no, a dreary, desolate and, indeed, quite abject and distressing one; what we might call, by way of eminence, the dismal science”</p>
<p>[Dismal</a> Science - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia](<a href=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dismal_Science]Dismal”>The dismal science - Wikipedia)</p>
<p>To tsdad: Thank you for the link. I’ll be interested to hear what my daughter thinks of the Malthusian growth model. (She’s the math/physics major; I’m “just” an American history grad.)</p>