Barnard supplement: sex-ed too risky of a subject?

<p>I’m having trouble answering the prompt “If you had a full hour to meet with a government representative or community leader, what one issue or concern would you raise and why?” because I can think of many things I’d like to tell a government official, but I don’t want to make any political arguments that might alienate members of an adcom. I was thinking of talking about how I think abstinence-only sex-ed programs are ineffective and don’t inform people about contraceptive options. Is this too unsafe?</p>

<p>I don’t think it is unsafe. However, it may not distinguish you from other applicants. The pros and cons of this issue are well-known. Would you have something personal, something detailed and revealing, something that would distinguish you from others, to offer on this topic?</p>

<p>Not really, but my other short answers, plus my common app essay, are pretty personal and distinguishing IMO. Am I to infer that you think it’s a bad idea to have even one short answer response be a little on the generic side? I could come up with something a little more personal, I guess.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>“Bad idea” might be a little harsh, but, yes: I would favor making all of the application as personal as you can. </p>

<p>Here’s a thought: consider ballet, which I can see that you know personally and well. Is there anything that you’d like to see done differently, something from your personal experience or “take” on things, that you could share with a community leader or government official? Surely there must be something–either in ballet or in other areas of personal knowledge or career interests. </p>

<p>If you can find something along the lines I am suggesting, your essay will not be a cliche, full of thoughts that may well be true but also will be known and shared by many. Rather, your essay will be something that very few people, perhaps only you, could write.</p>