Bay Area / 33 ACT / 4.22 W / Comp Bio & BioE / Full Pay [3.83 unweighted GPA, 4.04 weighted capped GPA for UC]

The “4” in AP Computer Science is a very good score; at least it’s not a “3”. It will also depend on how you perform in AP biology and physics. I would strongly recommend “A”'s. You’ve previously earned a “B” in AP Chemistry during the first semester and pulled it up to an “A-”. I think this would actually matter more in your case than another “B” in AP Calculus BC, given your math department’s harsh grading reputation. I was kind of wishing that you also had an AP Precalculus score of “5”, but I assume AP wasn’t available. It is imperative you take a physics class, preferably calculus-based, whether it be at the high school, a city college, virtually, or at Berkeley. Colleges aren’t interested in students flunking out or getting “weeded out” of engineering (Calc I, II, III, Mech, E&M, intro bio/chem); students w/o the initial exposure to physics in high school are more likely to do so. You have an intended major and people want you to be successful and graduate in four years. If you decide to apply to Stanford, I would recommend an ACT retake if your math score is below 34.

If you haven’t taken physics yet, it’s important to add that especially at the school where you will apply to bioengineering. A DE class will do the trick.

oops, cross posted with maijem11

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, especially about getting that physics foundation so I don’t get weeded out. Since I’m a rising senior right now, will my Calculus BC and Biology grades from junior year be considered and help lift me up?

Thank you so much for your response! I’ll make sure to take that physics class.

2 Likes

You could still get weeded out of the major or engineering, especially if you begin losing interest and depending where, but much less likely with the HS physics exposure. I’m a bit confused because I read that you are taking AP Biology & AP Calc BC senior year - the first semester senior year grades will count for college admissions.

UCs and CSUs do not see senior year grades for in-progress courses while reviewing applications from those who are currently seniors in high school (application deadlines are 11/30). However, the final transcripts at matriculation need to show that the courses match those listed on the application as in-progress or planned, and the grades earned must be high enough (as specified in the admission offer).

If the student applies EA or ED to other schools, non-deferral decisions may be made before any senior year grades are available.

Okay, but Stanford and some of the other schools dewdrp101 is considering applying to most certainly would. I don’t think earning any more “B” grades is recommended.

I’ll definitely try to secure all A’s next semester. Overall, I think I’m confident for most of the courses, the only class I’m unsure about is calculus BC.

1 Like

If you apply to Pitt quite soon after their applications open, which I think is in August, you’ll likely have a response within a few weeks. This last cycle, my student applied early October (once their common app essay was ready) and got an admit in 3 weeks. Later in the cycle when applications volumes pick up it takes longer for a decision, and by January they seem to start waitlisting people as they run out of space. It’s an easy app as there isn’t (or wasn’t last year anyway) a supplemental essay as long as you submit via common app (they will use the common app essay). Technically the essay is optional if you apply with test scores, but it’s needed for scholarship or honors college consideration. It’s really nice to have that strong admit in your back pocket while you’re preparing other applications. TBH we didn’t really know much about Pitt before seeing all the love for it on here (also in California where it doesn’t get much spotlight) but the more we researched the more we found to like.

4 Likes

My two cents with colleges that selective is about as far as anyone can really get is evaluating whether you have credentials which are good enough to try. If so, then you try and find out.

And I would say you are on track to try and find out.

Then if ED doesn’t work out, it is the rest of your list that matters. So you need a good list of alternatives, including possibly some other early colleges like PItt.

And then if does work out, great, you cancel all those other plans and enjoy your senior year.

So really, it isn’t as high stakes as some people seem to suggest. If you have an affordable favorite for which you are plausibly competitive, and it has ED, you apply ED and see what happens. And while you don’t bank on that working with a Reach, it might! It is nice when it does.

From a cost point of view, RPI offers an accelerated 5-year co-terminal BS/MS program, saving both time and money. Students begin taking graduate courses in senior year and completes the master’s degree in the 5th year.

RPI does not offer Bioinformatics, but they do offer the related but less common (only a couple of dozen colleges offer it) Computational Biology.

1 Like

Just an fyi, CALS is not the college of arts and sciences(which is CAS). It’s the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. Make sure you’re applying to the correct college. Cornell seems to give a lot of weight to your college specific essays.

I think you have a very balanced list - and if you’re ok with all these and you already noted you are with Merced, it’s a great list.

Are you sure about attending school in the East - far from home, beyond an Ivy? Have you looked at WUE schools like OSU, WSU, CSU?

You might look an NC State or Purdue instead of Ga Tech - where I don’t think you’ll get in.

Best of luck.

1 Like