Be honest - chances at Northwestern?

<p>Okay, I'm curious about these chance threads. I'm applying to Northwestern, Umich, Duke, Stanford, NYU, Michigan State, Wayne State, and Kalamazoo. I am doubtful as to whether I can get into some of these schools.</p>

<p>Caucasian female, midwest, upper middle class.</p>

<p>GPA:
4.194 (weighted)
3.9 (unweighted)</p>

<p>Class Rank: 5/398</p>

<p>ACT Score: 31</p>

<p>AP Scores:
US History - 5
Biology - 5
European History - 4
English Language - 5</p>

<p>Current Schedule:
AP Studio Art
Pre Calculus
AP English Literature
AP World History
AP Environmental Science
Newspaper
AP French</p>

<p>Random Stuff:
Artist of the Month (Artwork featured in Credit Union) (3 months)
Scholastic Art Regional Gold Key (highest honor for a single art piece) (Note: planning on getting a national gold key portfolio this year)
National Honors Society (11th-12th)
High/Highest Honor Roll every semester
100+ hours of volunteering
Will be traveling to France with my teacher for two weeks this year</p>

<p>ECs:
1. Interlochen Institute of Art, summer art portfolio building (1 summer)
2. Black River Farm and Ranch, horseback riding camp (4 summers)
3. National Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine, (1 summer)
4. French Club - member 3 years, President this year (9th-12th)
5. Students Against Destructive Decisions member (10th-12th)
6. Newspaper - editor/columnist last year (first year of the newspaper), Editor-in-Chief this year (11th-12th)
7. Set design/construction of plays for elementary school and high school (11th-12th)
8. Painted mural for biology teacher's classroom over the summer
9. Design showcase for student council</p>

<p>I will be submitting a really strong art supplement. I take the most challenging curriculum offered, except in math.</p>

<p>I'm planning on going into either a journalism, political science, or French major with an international relations minor or double major - though this will depend upon what's being offered. I have glowing recs from my French teacher, English teacher, and GC - should I toss one of them for an art rec, to play that up?</p>

<p>I know my ACT score and EC's aren't the strongest, but am I high for thinking I have a shot of getting accepted into the more difficult schools? Any recommendations for me?</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nvm</p>

<p>okay, anything else, haha?</p>

<p>Stanford's a pretty high reach, but it's a reach for pretty much everyone. Duke - midreach, but Northwestern should be a match.</p>

<p>Stanford, Duke & Northwestern are reaches. You really need to connect in all aspects of your application to get admitted to any of these schools. Your chances may be slightly better at Duke than Northwestern due to geographical diversity and the slightly lower standardized test scores accepted by Duke in comparison to Northwestern. In fact, the 25th percentile of accepted students at Stanford is 1340, at Duke =1340, while it is 1350 at Northwestern. Granted that this is an oversimplification as determining factors tend to be teacher recs. and application essays once you have met the threshhold GPA & standardized test score hurdles. In this case, those threshhold requirements are slightly easier to satisfy at Duke & Stanford than at Northwestern based on the most recently published information. On the other hand, admit rates are highest at Northwestern since many Harvard, Yale, Princeton & Stanford applicants use the Weinberg College of Arts & Sciences as a back-up. Although Duke & Northwestern admit rates are very similiar (Duke, in my opinion, has slightly lower admit rates since it is widely regarded as the top school in the South and Southerners tend to be a bit more reluctant to leave the South).</p>

<p>Yeah, I am fully aware how huge a reach Stanford is. But I mean, I am in love with the school, and why not? Maybe they might magically see something in me. Emphasis on the magic. I would like to be able to go to Duke or Northwestern, at the very least to get out of state from the University of Michigan, where everybody predicts I will go.</p>

<p>If I applied ED to any of these three schools, could it make a difference? I am debating whether I should apply ED at all, and if so, at which school? Dilemma.</p>

<p>Thank you for the input!</p>

<p>buuuuuuuuump</p>

<p>buuuuuuuuuump</p>

<p>Apply ED to your first choice school as this will increase your chances. For example, Northwestern ED admit rate is much higher than the RD admit rate. Northwestern will either admit or deny you early decision as NU does not defer ED applicants to the RD pool. The main two reasons to forego submitting a binding ED application to any school are to compare financial aid offers and to avoid buyers remorse by closing out other options early and wondering if you would have been admitted to another dream school. Based on your last post, you may want to consider applying ED to Stanford as that is your dream school. However, if your passion is to study journalism, then the Medill School at Northwestern is the best in the country and applying ED will enhance your odds.</p>

<p>why are you submitting a strong art supplement if you aren't going to major in art?</p>

<p>and don't mind me, I'm no expert but I would say you got a strong shot at most of these schools. based on what other people say, I'm scared to death because for me, your "resume" is actually really good. But it does seem acknowledged that CC consists of a lot of people with jacked up grades and stats.</p>

<p>you'll do fine :)</p>

<p>There are many great schools that can get you out of MI. Throw in a few slightly easier to get into than Duke and NU.</p>