Bedbugs

<p>DD just moved into the apartment provided for her summer internship, she woke up with strange red itchy bumps all along one side of her body, the side she sleeps on. She is thinking bedbugs, especially after googling images.</p>

<p>She has been in the place about 24 hours. Moving to a friend's family home in the town temporarily is an option, but how should she treat her bedding and clothing and what should she expect the coordinator of the housing to do to the place?</p>

<p>Call immediately. Depends on the landlord as to what they will do but I'd start with a demand for a professional exterminator, assuming they do not make other arrangements for her stay. This is not something to attempt on your own.</p>

<p>D had them last year in her bedroom of a 2 room apartment. The landlord did not help with the cost of an exerminator. She was lucky in that she immediately had a reaction to them, thus allowing a swift extermination. Many people don't react quickly, if at all, which allows the bedbugs to reproduce beyond imagination since they don't realize for awhile that this is what's going on. </p>

<p>In your D's case, since they are providing the apartment,it would seem they would make other arrangements. In my D's situation, her room (and EVERY LAST ONE of her belongings) was treated. They treated her box springs and mattress and then encased them. She had to put all her clothes on high heat in a dryer, books in the freezer, etc. They did steaming of her walls, furniture, and basically all surfaces including pictures, wall hangings, etc.</p>

<p>There was considerable and significant work to do to treat for this. It meant she lived out of plastic bags for weeks.) The cost was around $450. This was considered pretty cheap since the entire apartment didn't need to be treated because they were discovered so soon. I will say the landlord did give D a $100 discount of her rent the next month. She was living in Chicago at the time which apparently has had record numbers of bedbugs. There were at that time no requirements for landlords to treat for this there. I'm sure the regulations are different city by city.</p>

<p>Good luck. It's not easy.</p>

<p>All bedding and clothing needs to be dried in a hot dryer for 30 minute. Then she needs to place them in tightly sealed garbage bags for transport. To learn more, go to bed</a> bug news, information, activism, and support ? Got bed bugs? Bedbugger.com. If she's in NYC, the landlord will know how to handle the problem, but it could take weeks, depending on which treatment the landlord uses.</p>

<p>Definitely call in the experts, and also follow all recommendations on the Bedbug site. My brother's been "treating" on his own, without followng all the recommended procedures, and has now d ecided that they are a "chronic" problem he can live with, not something that will go away. The result is that no one in the family wants to visit his house, and greet any visit from him with tons of precautions and worry. It's a shame he won't deal with it properly. It's worth the price and the work to definitely get rid of them.</p>

<p>Garland, I just read recently that researchers have discovered that bedbugs can carry MRSA. See article in Medscape "Bedbugs Can Carry Superbugs" Medscape:</a> Medscape Access</p>

<p>It's a horrible process. Had to deal with it last summer in my daughter's apartment. Daughter did exactly what curiouser says, above. Difference was that the landlord lived in the building and was just as horrified as the kids, so he dealt with it wonderfully. Don't wait a day longer. If she hasn't already called exterminator, she needs to do it now. And if she's in NYC, it will be worse because the buildings are so big and many, many buildings have bedbugs-- even hospitals, movie theaters, clothing stores, YUCK!! Now with the MRSA threat, which I just heard about as well, it's become very serious, indeed.</p>

<p>My son just went through this a month ago. His landlord did call an exterminator, and the roommates (4 of them) hired the bug sniffing dog on their own. Though they never saw any actual bugs, my son had been bitten (confirmed by a dermatologist) and the others had not. He ended up heat treating (dryer on high for 20-30 minutes) everything he owned and living out of sealed garbage bags that lived on the porch of their apartment for the rest of the semester. Had the car steam cleaned, sealed both his mattress and box spring, threw out a wood dresser that the dog reacted to and froze his books. The exterminator came twice and treated the apartment. Everything seems ok. He was just here for a week and I must admit we had him strip in the foyer and re-dryer treat everything he brought with him before taking into the rest of the house. Anything that couldn't go directly into the dryer was subjected to the blow dryer on hot method of heat treatment.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Anything that couldn't go directly into the dryer was subjected to the blow dryer on hot method of heat treatment.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>And that's why they invented this useful gadget (We swear by it!)</p>

<p>PackTite</a> Product</p>

<p>They moved DD to a new apartment the next day, bought her a mattress sealing plastic case and she spoke to the exterminator who was treating the place. Apparently it is the first case of bedbugs in the small town and they are assuming the prior occupant brought them there. Some people are asymptomatic so he/she may not have known.</p>

<p>She is feeling rather itchy and bug paranoid now ;)</p>