Before you check your SAT scores...

<p>With June SAT scores being released in less than two days, I'm certain many of you are worried about your scores. Whether you took the SAT Reasoning Test or any Subject Test(s), simply viewing your scores can be an extremely stressful experience - possibly even more difficult than studying for the exam! It takes a lot of courage to just click that dreaded button.</p>

<p>When I've viewed SAT results in the past, I've always wished there was someone there to hold my hand through the process. It's scary to view the scores on your own, and we take comfort in having someone share in the process with us. Misery loves company, they say...because "failure" in a group means you're not as bad as you thought. Therefore, I've put together this guide for you when you view your scores on the SAT. Hopefully it will provide you with some comfort, even though I can't be with you there now. Not all of you will need this, but again, this is for those of you who might need an extra reassuring push to view your results.</p>

<p>Clearly, this guide isn't really meant to be read until the June SAT is released. This won't stop you from reading this now, but I recommend you hold off so it's more effective when you do finally view the scores. </p>

<p>To begin, I wish to expand on the word I used earlier: failure. On the SAT, failure is highly subjective. There is, for obvious reasons, no passing mark on the SAT. The only thing that really matters is how high you score relative to your own goals. Some of the overachievers may be shooting for a 2300+. Then you have your smart kids going for just over a 2000. Or you've got your average students who would be quite content with anything over an 1800. Whatever you want to score, I want you to do one thing for me right now: forget your goals.</p>

<p>I want you to go into viewing these SAT scores with a clean slate. Of course you don't have to forget your goals forever - I just want you to forget them momentarily. Just try your hardest to do this before you move on. Say the following to yourself (either in your head or muttered out-loud - whichever is more comfortable for you):</p>

<p>As I check my scores, I will view them with objectivity and forget my initial goals.</p>

<p>Read this as many times as you need to. Look up what "objectivity" means if you want to, even if you're already familiar with the word. Let the meaning really sink in. Your scores don't matter anymore. Pretend you're viewing your scores for a friend, if you wish.</p>

<p>Now, take a deep breath and close your eyes for a moment after reading the following:</p>

<p>Imagine yourself at this time next year. You'll most likely know which college you're attending. You'll be content with your decision. Sure, it may not be where you thought you would be now. But you'll be happy. You'll be sure it will provide you with a good education, and more importantly, a good social experience. You will enjoy yourself, and you will be successful. This score won't matter any more once you get into that college. The SAT was only a small stepping stone to reach your goal and not the determining factor of your ultimate destination.</p>

<p>Close your eyes and imagine.</p>

<p>Hopefully you're feeling relaxed now. I want you to now put on your favorite song. It can be relaxing or fast-paced - either way, just play something you really enjoy. This is going to be your SAT song - yes, it's silly, but that's the point. Sing to it! Just be happy!</p>

<p>Now, as this song is playing, I want you to go to the College Board website and sign in to view your scores. Don't worry, I'm still here if you need me. If you're having any trouble, just look back here.</p>

<p>If you're having trouble: Well, hello there! It appears you may be struggling to view your scores. I can promise you, sir or ma'am, your SAT scores are going to be quite okay. Hey, is your SAT song still playing in the background? NO? Well, get that back on your iTunes! Post your SAT song below so others can see what you're playing. And hey, just relax for a minute. Now, go back to the College Board website and keep this window handy. Load up those scores! Oooooh! Look at those scores! I can see that you've done...something! Remember, let's not worry about what we've got compared to your goals until a little later.</p>

<p>After viewing your scores: Great job, the worst part is over. Now you know what you've got.</p>

<p>First off, DO NOT ADD UP YOUR SCORES just yet. Let's first look at what you've got in each individual section. First, math. Then critical reading. And finally, writing. How did you do compared to previous tests (even the PSAT)? Does looking at that score make you happy? Sad? Do you want to jump up and down for joy or turn away? Take each into section consideration. You may have been triumphant on one section, but lacked a bit in another. Also remember previous tests results. Many colleges will take your highest score in each section from ANY of your tests. Maybe you didn't do so well on critical reading this time - or writing - or math. But maybe you did awesome the previous time. Well, there you go!</p>

<p>Now add the scores up? What did you get total? Do you see how doing well in one section can make up for another?</p>

<p>Whatever you got, I'm proud of you. I'm sure your family is proud of you. Your friends are proud of you. And don't feel pressured into telling them - if they ask, just tell them you don't want to compare. They'll understand, I promise.</p>

<p>And finally, if you're not as satisfied as you thought you would have been, think about the following:</p>

<p>i. You have the option to retake the SAT as many times as are allowed (at least 2 opportunities during senior year, and perhaps 3).</p>

<p>ii. You can take the ACT (and retake the ACT), if you are not so much of an SAT person.</p>

<p>iii. Your SAT score makes up only, at most, 15% of the criteria that colleges look at when admitting students. You're probably heard this before, but you can see it isn't really a significant factor. Colleges recognize that all students aren't amazing test takers. And the SAT is just that: a Stupid Annoying Test (or anything else you can think of that those letters could stand for).</p>

<p>I really hope I've been able to help you. Post your experiences below. And if anyone has any other comforting tips for viewing your SAT scores, that would be great!</p>

<p>Congratulations guys!</p>

<p>Brilliant post!</p>

<p>This is an excellent, thoughtful, and mature post - one that is sorely needed in such an atmosphere. Thanks, bri1a4n.</p>

<p>I forgot how much thoughts used to go into checking SAT scores. Anyway, good luck to everyone on Thursday!</p>

<p>I only have one subject test score to check, so not much anxiety building up here :) Good luck to everyone and remember that you still have October, November, December and even January for most RD applications.</p>

<p>This post is just what I needed.</p>

<p>Thanks so much!!!</p>

<p>
[quote]
I forgot how much thoughts used to go into checking SAT scores.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I only learned that I should've worried about my SAT scores after I came on CC, and by then, it was too late. Come to think of it, I usually forgot the date the scores came out.</p>

<p>Oh, the wonders of forgetfulness.</p>

<p>"the SAT is just that: a Stupid Annoying Test" <--- I like this.</p>

<p>Waka Waka- SAT song :D</p>

<p>Awesome post, especially for those of us who really want a score that's just above their reach. I'm so worried that I'll end up being just below the score that i need so clicking that button is actually going to be tough.</p>

<p>Thanks for your post. It made me feel better |D</p>

<p>Bump for everyone who will be viewing their scores in a matter of hours!</p>

<p>this made me feel slightly better but i'm still freaking out, oh well :P</p>

<p>You should write for Cambridge International Examinations lol, last year they just started implementing Online Score Report as opposed to coming to the test center to receive your results, 10 students committed suicide :P</p>

<p>If students could see this kind of writing before they view their scores it'd be really encouraging.</p>