Berkeley HAAS Major Pre-Req Question

<p>"Haas does not accept the Math AB Exam. Students with this exam are required to take 2 semesters of calculus either Math 16A and Math 16B or Math 1A and Math 1B or Math 1A and 16B. Math 53 or Math 54 will also fulfill the calculus prerequisite for Haas."</p>

<p>I am applying this semester and I was unaware of this until now. I passed the AP Math AB Exam with a 5 and I completed Math 1B in college. I think it's obvious that, as of now, I am ineligible because I have not taken Math 1A in college. </p>

<p>So my question is, is it possible to take Math 1A during the spring, before admissions, even though I already took Math 1B?</p>

<p>why not take it in the spring?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>There's your answer. Just take Math 53 (multivariable calculus) or Math 54 (linear algebra and differential equations).</p>

<p>^ I second this. One of my friends screwed up just like you (thought he could use AB for Calc1 clearance), and ended up having to take multi var calc with me. If your CC has a COMBINED course in LA&DE like in Cal (I heard that a couple of CCs in the Orange County do), then take that one, because linear alg will be quite useful for upper division econ theory...</p>

<p>Or just take calc 3. Of course they are not going to accept calc1 credit since you've already completed calc2 lol</p>

<p>If the CC has separate linear algebra and differential equations courses, you typically need to take both of them to be equivalent to Math 54 at Berkeley. Check Welcome</a> to ASSIST for equivalency (use the math major at Berkeley listings to check the math courses), and check your CC to see if you can take them concurrently if they are separate courses.</p>

<p>Wow, taking Calc 3 sounds like a daunting task as I haven't taken any math for a while. However, I am willing to review and take it if it will help me in the long run- like you said sparkyboy. My college does have an LA&DE class but I have to finish Calc 3 first. </p>

<p>Also, if I do to take Calc 3 in the spring I would have to drop Business 1B, which is a major requirement for UCLA and Irvine. This way I would be taking 5 classes, 18 units. It would also lower my chances with UCLA and Irvine. What would you guys do if you were in my shoes?</p>

<p>Take 22 units...
No, I'm serious. You only need a B or higher in every single course taken in Spring, because admission decision is made already. They will send you some sort of "contract" saying you will need to have B's in those courses, and C's in some others. Unless your goal is grad school, that is...</p>

<p>But then, take a look at your schedule and see if you can drop any unnecessary class, or take one of them online, or during the winter session. 22 units with Calc3, Managerial Accounting (I guess so) is surely hell...</p>

<p>Oh goodness, that does sound like hell. And I can't drop anything or spread it out w/ winter.
I'm taking 3 other haas major pre-reqs in the spring: the general business class and the second english class and econ 2. plus biz 1b and and an igetc requirement. Have you heard of anyone pulling 22units off w/ Bs before?
And I heard that our GPAs start over once accepted so it would not matter for grad school, right?</p>

<p>Sent from my HTC Glacier using CC App</p>

<p>if you dont work, it should'nt be hard to do.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Have you heard of anyone pulling 22units off w/ Bs before?

[/quote]

Me, lol. 6 A's, 1 B :) Though my classes seem less heavier, 3 out of 7 are IGETC, the rest are technical and major requirements.</p>

<p>
[quote]
if you dont work, it should'nt be hard to do.

[/quote]

This</p>

<p>
[quote]
And I heard that our GPAs start over once accepted so it would not matter for grad school, right?

[/quote]

You start over at 0.0, but you still need to submit your CC GPA when you applied for grad school.</p>

<p>
[quote]
the general business class and the second english class and econ 2. plus biz 1b and and an igetc requirement.

[/quote]

See if you can P/NP the IGETC req, or take it online. Hell, even considering taking econ 2 and/or general business online or during the winter. A lot of CCs offered those 2 during the 4-week winter session. It's fast-paced, tough, but at least 1) it saves your a** from taking 22 units and 2) you don't have to report winter grades since the grade is released during early February. By that time, you will have already submitted your application update ;)</p>

<p>Alright guys :/ I'll talk to my counselor and make a decision soon. Thank's for your input sparkyboy :]</p>