Berkeley=no life?

<p>Do students at Berkeley have any time for a social life? Or is it necessary to spend all of your time studying to survive? Im thinking of going into economics, but I still want to be able to go out on the weekends and etc.</p>

<p>I think it's all about time management. Economics actually doesn't have thaaaat many major prereqs and stuff. I've heard of engineers (and engineering has WAY more prereqs) who manage to do well and do have a social life. Lots of people have social lives here, you just have to know when to study and also HOW to study. For Econ I think you should be OK</p>

<p>Economics (and math, if you are planning to take a lot of math to prepare for graduate school in economics) do not have huge numbers of time consuming lab courses.</p>

<p>If you stay focused on your work and don't get distracted by silly things such as message boards or the internet in general, you'll find that work takes much less time than you think it does . . . </p>

<p>and consequently spend the copious amounts of unexpected free time having fun.</p>

<p>Yeah....like right now (freshman), I waste so much time on the internet that honestly, if I got down to it and worked, I would finish in under 2 hours a day (doing all the reading that I'm too lazy to do).</p>

<p>I'm double majoring in 2 pretty difficult subject areas (Molecular Cell Biology and Economics) and doing 15+ hours of research a week. I still have plenty of time to have a social life. I mostly study right before midterms or finals, almost never on Fridays or Saturdays. Plenty of time to go to parties or play video games or post on this forum.</p>

<p>I know people who lock themselves up in their rooms 'studying' and never go out, but it's just completely unnecessary and more stressful than anything. If you want to have a social life at Berkeley, you WILL have it.</p>

<p>I think you're going to face pretty much the same question no matter where you go. At Berkeley, it's just that more people are focused on studying so people get the impression there isn't a social scene which isn't true. Berkeley's HUGE, you'll find every kind of person here and every kind of group. My advice to you is to try different things out, and depending on what's important to you, that's how you should live your life. If you find that school is your top priority, make it so and put out a good chunk of time to study. Then reward yourself by exploring the city or something. No one should live a flat life of just books! That is not what we should do, and trust me, those people who do are making a huge mistake. As for me, I came in with a mindset that I was going to balance it alllll out. Academics, social life, extracurriculars, some time alone to rewind. It's a struggle every day to keep up but I'm loving the journey. Don't get me wrong though, I have really bad days...</p>

<p>In short:
I am not an econ major but I don't think you'll have trouble doing what you want to do here. Everyone finds time. Just gotta do some planning!</p>

<p>nono you'll have a life haha. It'll be hard to hav ea BOOMING life (or social life), but it's possible...especially living in the coops! The workload is just ridiculous most of the time, so it's not like you can go have fun all the time :-&lt;/p>

<p>EECS major here. Even when I have 16 units, 12 technical, I still manage to juggle a social life fairly easily.</p>

<p>Here's what it looks like:
* Meals with friends once or twice per week
* Party once every two to three weeks
* More often than not, when friends propose something, I'm able to go</p>

<p>I manage to keep a slightly above-average GPA for my major while being very active in Greek Life. As for my time management skills: it's honestly not the best. I'm generally one of those people that wait until the last minute to do things.</p>

<p>It's really all about work/life balance. If you prioritize your social life enough, you will have one.</p>

<p>It depends. If you take minimum units and a few extra curriculars, you will have time. It's all about using your time wisely. some people waste so much time staring at the wall i'm pretty sure because they just sit in the library for hours. you should really only spend like an hour or two and then take a break and just work fast.</p>

<p>Berkeley is definitely tougher than other schools. The classes are very time-consuming. Technical classes teach tough concepts at a fast pace, and classes in the humanities and social sciences usually have very heavy reading. It teaches you a lot about how to have a successful life afterward, but your actual college career will be very intense. A social life is possible, but that would require intense focus on academics to achieve high efficiency.</p>