Best Computer Science degree on a budget?

<p>Well here is what I’m looking for:</p>

<li>Computer Science, MIS, Computer engineering degree’s, I don’t know yet, but usually a school with a CS degree has most of these.</li>
<li>Under $25,000 a year.</li>
<li>A selective school with smaller class and campus sizes.</li>
<li>Good program and profs in CS</li>
</ol>

<p>Also can you answer me these questions:

1. People have told me that a company will hire a person with an MIS degree over a person with a CS degree because of the management portion?
  2. I’ve also heard that it doesn’t matter where you go to school for CS, just as long as you are a good programmer?
  3. Do small vs big class sizes make a difference in CS classes like they do in foriegn language classes?</p>

<p>Thanks
David</p>

<p>Are you a California resident?</p>

<p>In my field, engineering/defense, a CS degree is considered better. At U Maryland, MIS is known as the easier route. However, at a financial/consumer business corporation, your first point may be true, not sure. I agree with your second point to a large extent. If your image is good, and you keep up your skills, and obtain a master's degree, your undergrad school is not really important. Third point- most CS classes are large and schools have a help desk or something like that. If you are somewhat independent, I do not think it matters. A lot of collaboration between classmates happens, too. Also, if you take classes on your level, and don't try to jump ahead, you should be fine. Small would be great, if you can find it and afford it, but it is not necessary.</p>

<p>Thanks for the replys.</p>

<p>No, I'm a Minnesota resident and at the time I'm think of going to MSU now since I am now think that yes, since programming is more independent for me, the bigger class sizes won't matter so much.</p>

<p>Here is my next question, MSU has both the CS degree and the MIS degree. I have my first 2 years of college out of the way, with no general's left. If I were to take 3 years of college, would it be possible to take the MIS degree, which is 1/3 business and 2/3 math, then in my extra year take all the computer science courses that I missed and get 2 majors. </p>

<p>What I want to know, is this possible.</p>

<p>Or would it be better to get a major in CS and a minor in Buisness management?</p>

<p>Thanks for the help
David</p>