Best school if you want to be a music producer?

<p>I'm looking into becoming a music producer/dj and I wanted to know what would be the best school for that. I'm going to St Francis college in NY as a freshman but I want to transfer asap.</p>

<p>Depends on how you define "music producer". There are programs that focus on the technical and sound engineering aspects, and programs that are more centered on the management, business, marketing and administration aspects. And some that give you a bit of both. </p>

<p>What is your musical background? Important insofar as most of the BM programs are audition based. </p>

<p>Start here <a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/957443-music-business-industry-management-technology-production.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/957443-music-business-industry-management-technology-production.html&lt;/a>, and I'd suggest opening the links in order.</p>

<p>I'm interested in being a record producer. The kind of producers that use a mixing console and all that. I have no music experience at all and I need to start somewhere. I'd prefer a school on the east coast.</p>

<p>You'll need to find a school that doesn't require an audition. Look at the program at Drexel: Music</a> Industry: Undergraduate: Antoinette Westphal College of Media Arts & Design: Drexel University</p>

<p>I'm not really interested in that school. I'm really looking for a school around NYC</p>

<p>Within the links I provided are direct links to both the AES website (which has a list of schools by region), and the MEIEA website also has a list of schools with various permutations of options.</p>

<p>The choices are pretty broad, but the curriculum and degree paths vary widely. Go through the lists, see what may work geographically, academically and financially. As a transfer student, you'll need to be aware of special rules and criteria for transfer.</p>

<p>Your name is Pedobear and you want to be a record producer/dj with no music experience....troll?</p>

<p>This is my first time into the Music Major thread, but I'm going to guess that, for the most part, these are classically trained musicians with tons of experience in their craft and with music theory. This probably isn't the best spot to find info on becoming the next Timbaland or Ne-Yo.</p>

<p>Pedobear, I just want to reassure you that this website is not just for classically trained musicians. There are plenty of people posting who share your interests, as violadad indicates. The issue, Derek, is not that Timbaland-wannabees are not welcome (by the way, a quick wiki indicates he has extensive musical background for those of you in my generation), your main issue will be lack of (any kind of) musical training. But it won't be impossible as others will point out, as long as you have the drive. Good idea to start with the links violadad suggests.</p>

<p>Pedobear, I wouldn't go to school for anything but music production if I were you. With no experience or training, a B.A. in music would be too much. The sight-singing and ear training alone would more than likely kill you. A basic knowledge of chords, progressions and arrangement would be fine. But a degree in music production, which is the recording and mixing aspect, will probably be more helpful.</p>

<p>Yea I definatly plan on majoing in music production but I also new to go to a good known school that could get me an internship with a known record label.</p>

<p>That's not really how it works. Working as an engineer, you will have nothing to do with a record label. If your an assistant engineer, your boss is the engineer. If you are the head engineer, then your boss is the producer and the artist. Not until you are actually a record producer will you have any run ins with a label. As an engineer you can be employed by a producer, in house at a studio or as independent help for the said two.</p>

<p>So your saying you MUST be an engineer before becoming a record producer?</p>

<p>No, not at all. Anyone can become a music producer, they just might not be any good. I know plenty of hip hop producers that just run their recording rigs in garages, spare bedrooms and what not. And with today's technology, the sound is pretty good.</p>

<p>But I'm just saying, if you want to go to school for music, it's going to be as Performance major, some sort of Theory major or as a Production major, aka audio engineering. The first two will almost definately require entrance exams and auditions when transferring. That's why I believe the production route would suite you better. Then after going to school for recording, if you receive an internship, it will be in a studio or in live sound. That will be your route, like so many others.</p>

<p>most schools with tech programs will have an internship as part of it</p>

<p>Actually, pedobear, if you have evidence of prior recording or producing, good marks, etc. you might want to look into NYU's Clive Davis recording arts program at Tisch. It SPECIFICALLY has a "producer" stream, but it also requires a portfolio and examples of shows you've produced/promoted etc. It is part of the Tisch school, not the music school, although you would indeed still take a more rudimentary level of theory etc. That said, it is a hard admit (about 1 in 10 for 30 of 300) and many of the applicants are also performers, since their program can suit contemporary musicians who want to perform AND produce.
Hope that helps. Good luck.
PS The program does indeed intern with major record labels, btw.</p>

<p>The internship is with a label, but it is on the business side. Overall that program does look pretty sick, but unless I could pay NYU in cash, easily. I would never pay that much for a recording arts degree. Just my opinion, but no matter where you go to school, starting off as an engineer is an absolute grind.</p>

<p>Check out Clive Davis Department of Recorded music at NYU. That's what I'm looking into for the future.</p>