Best Schools for Drama and Music

<p>I am a SSAT tutor and my students are asking me for advice on where to apply. They are both international students from - you guessed it - Asia.</p>

<p>One is a boy in grade 9 equiv. Pretty strong grades overall. In the top 5% of his class. His SSAT's might not be that good (not enough prep time) but think he can interview well (and has interviewed pretty decently at two schools). He loves acting, which I think is great considering it is very rare for a student (especially male) in that kinda of education system to really like drama. He has starred in his school play and have won awards for speech and the such across the city. For me, I definitely think he is a fit for Middlesex and possibly Choate, and am steering him towards St. George's as well. Are there any others in that rough top 10 - 20 range of schools? Or should I be aiming lower. </p>

<p>The other is a girl in grade 9 equiv. She goes to one of the best girls school in the city and it is pretty well known to most of the top BS in the US. The prob is that her grades are really bad....really bad...she is in the stronger class at school, but she is - at best - average in her class. Her strong point is that she is good in music. Although she hasn't competed internationally, her peers that were in similar standing in various local competitions and certifications went on to Juliard and other top music academies. With that said, she doesn't want to commit her life to music, but i think that is the only way she can probably spin her way into an acceptance. Do you guys here on the boards have any school recommendations for her. Considering the investment, the school should obviously still be in pretty good standing (i do understand it is hard given her academic standing). Can you recommend some schools with strong music programs that still have strong reputations. Certainly, I am not disillusioned and don't think it is worth having her try at any of the top 10 schools.</p>

<p>Thank you.</p>

<p>For the boy, you should aim for a range of schools, including the 3 you selected. You might also consider one or two in California where he might meet the children of people involved in the movie industry. The US is a very large country compared to most Asian countries, so you will find a high standard beyond the top 10-20. If you read through old threads, you will find discussions about the level of competition for Asians, especially Koreans. This has something to do with the number of visas and the fact that schools do not want more than 5% of their students to come from one international country. Many schools restrict the number of dramatic productions in which you can participate because of a team sports requirement, so you should investigate this. For the girl, take a look at the Masters School. I have no personal experience with how this school might react to her grades, but I do know that they have a good reputation and are strong in the arts. You might consider this school for the boy too. It is a short train ride from New York City which has all the Broadway theaters. While the % boarding there is low, I hear that many of the boarders are from Asia. You might also consider Blair Academy which is where my son attends. They have been building their arts programs over the last 10 years and might be interested in students who can contribute to it. They have a great video production program if there is any interest in that.</p>

<p>I don't have broad knowledge of any of the other schools, but NMH (which I am always happy to recommend)!, is very well known for its arts and music programs. It also has a fairly high percentage of Asian students. It's higher acceptance rate (51% in 2005....they were going through a bit of a flux as they had just consolidated campuses....it was in the mid 40 range in the late 1990's) only reflects the fact that it is not as highly applied to as the "top tier" schools. I can assure you it is extremely rigorous and well-respected. It used to have a reputation of being quite liberal, "hippie" even. It is not that at all - or my boys, who are both quite conservative - would not be there.
Check out their site, there is a link where you can listen to the recent Christmas Vespers service (wonderful Chamber Orchestra), and see the progress on the new Arts Center.</p>

<p>"This has something to do with the number of visas and the fact that schools do not want more than 5% of their students to come from one international country. Many schools restrict the number of dramatic productions in which you can participate because of a team sports requirement..."</p>

<p>Another good thing about NMH (two actually); their Asian enrollment this year is approximately 16% and almost half of that number is from Korean (about 8% of the student body). Also, NMH does not have a sports team requirement. If you don't do a team sport, then you have to participate in PE.</p>

<p>Thanks, those will all be very helpful. </p>

<p>As for NMH, I was also considering recommending that school for both my students, as well as some of the all girls school for the girl (such as Emma Willard).</p>

<p>The Association of Boarding Schools has an advanced search page on their website: TABS:</a> School Finder - Advanced Search.</p>

<p>After choosing up to 3 states, you can enter specific interests, e.g. fencing, drama, and ornithology, and the search engine will produce a list of likely schools. Then, you can investigate those schools' selectivity and % boarding.</p>

<p>"Public Speaking" falls under the heading "performing arts."</p>

<p>Interlochen is frequently mentioned as a school for those with strong interest in the arts.<br>
The only other school I am familiar with happens to be a day school in NYC - Professional Childrens School.</p>

<p>Miss Porter's has strong drama and music. The sports requirement is waived if you do theater for the three plays.
Not at all sure about the grades. There are a number of Korean girls at Miss Porter's already.</p>

<p>I know a few people who went/ are applying to the ecole d'humanite. it's a swiss school that offers classes in english and german. the ecole's a hippy operation, so no one should go there with rigorous academic expectations (no tests, no grades). it is pretty artsy though and all of the afternoons are spent doing artsy activities (some that are pretty rare like calligraphy and silversmithy). I know that theatre and music is pretty strong</p>

<p>my parents would never let me go, but I have a bunch of friends whose parents are alumni and are applying for next year. </p>

<p>[url=<a href="http://www.ecole.ch/%5DEcole"&gt;http://www.ecole.ch/]Ecole&lt;/a> d'Humanit</p>

<p>Well you should check out Interlochen Arts Academy located in Michigan. I was accepted into the school last spring and offered a ride, but my parens made me stay in public school for one more year so I can recieve more financial aid and what else is out there for me. Another school of arts is Idyllwild located in California. It's just about an hour away from LA, so the film would work out really well there. In comparison, Interlochen has a lower acceptance rate that Idyllwild but is a bit cheaper the I'wild.</p>

<p>Interlochen !</p>

<p>Haha, yes. Interlochen is quite an amazing school. I have several friends who attend the school, and I happen to be pretty good friends with the admissions director. :P</p>

<p>Hi, My child has been accepted at both Idyllwild and Interlochen for MT and we are torn both seem fabulous.
Have heard less than stellar things about both Theater Artistic Directors though.
Any thoughts?</p>

<p>^ out of the two, interlochen's more prestigious (but prestige only goes so far... and obviously it doesn't mean THAT much). i've heard nothing but great things about interlochen, and the 2 kids that i know that go there are beyond happy with their school. it sounds like a great school. if i may ask, what exactly is "MT"? sorry, i'm a bit clueless here...</p>

<p>ps: go rugby!!</p>