Best schools where you can immerse yourself in the stock market?

<p>bond market, foreign exchange markets, option market, futures, etc?</p>

<p>I could care less about rankings. </p>

<p>Where can a person go and take tons of classes about the above?</p>

<p>Foreign exchange markets fall under both finance and (international) economics. Options and futures fall under finance but are taught at a much deeper level in financial mathematics courses. If your school has finance, international economics, and financial math, you should be able to take courses in those areas.</p>

<p>NYU - Stern</p>

<p>yeah being right down the road really gives Stern the edge. Columbia would be a good choice as well.</p>

<p>Check out Bentley. They have an unbelievable trading room on campus, and use that room for its finance training. Trust me on this. Check out Bentley.</p>

<p>Fact of the matter is dstark, the courses you will find at universities will not actually teach you how to trade/invest. There are quite a number of trading firms/desks out there that actually discriminate based on previous experience in finance (Renaissance comes to mind). Most of the firms run their own in-firm classes which strip it down to the practical essentials which is often not the focus of academic studies in these fields. A lot of learning also comes from the trading environment itself and not from sitting in a class. There is simply no way to actually learn a great deal about the practical applications in finance without getting into these firms.</p>

<p>However, most of the economic departments do have courses in those subjects. Nearly all offer derivatives courses (although again they are introductory), financial markets courses etc. There are a few schools which have pockets of specialization. For example, Columbia has value investing courses which are really popular, and Duke has courses in high freq finance as well as advanced courses in time series analysis and econometrics for undergrads. [Disclaimer: I am likely going to Duke next year so do you own research there.] </p>

<p>But as I have noted before, nowadays it seems like its better to get a solid education which teaches you the tools you need (programming, statistical analysis, psychology) to succeed in the real world than just going into academic courses in these fields. Once you have those tools they come in handy as you can apply the specialized knowledge you will learn in the workplace. Finance is still a field in which academics lag practitioners.</p>

<p>Mahras2, I agree that academics lag practioners, but sometimes a person likes a subject so much, if he doesn't get to study it, he isn't going to study anything else. </p>

<p>Congratulations on Duke.</p>

<p>bentley sucks. don't go there.</p>

<p>Krazyk, what is your basis for your statements? Bentley is one of the few schools to be accredited by both the regional accrediting body and have the special accreditation for business programs. Their trading room is unbelievable. They have some great curricular choices ahd have a number of top firms recruiting there. We were there. We observed all this. What, therefore, are you basing your statments?</p>