Biology BS, Math MS/PhD?

<p>I'm going to earn my undergrad biology degree this spring but I really hate the subject, and of course, when I get sick of the biology classes, I'm nearing the end of my degree. I've thought about mathematical biology/bioinformatics but I just really do NOT like biology whatsoever. Ideally, I'd like to get a masters in applied math (or maybe even PhD) but I've only taken calc 2. I love what I was learning but I've never heard of anyone going from biology to math. Mostly vice versa. So I guess what I'm asking is, should I just graduate and take the pre-req upper level maths later?</p>

<p>You sound kind of burnt out -- did you like biology when you declared your major? With the low number of math classes you've taken, how can you be sure you really like math and would be suited to a graduate math program? Taking math after you graduate is possible, but might be costly. You can probably take math through diff eq and linear algebra through a local cc, but for more advanced courses, you'd probably need to go to a local university. Around here at least, even the state school is incredibly expensive for anyone not enrolled in a degree program. You might want to consider delaying graduation and taking more math at your current school. However, if you are burnt out on school, some time off to regroup might be better.</p>

<p>I've known several students with Biology BS or MS backgrounds going into the statistics MS and other students who have gone into a Math MS with a non-math bachelor's degree. You should take Calc 3 and probably diff. eq./linear algebra. At that point, grad schools might offer you a position with a deficiency (i.e. they will want you to take Real Analysis). A proofs class might be good to try out (usually these are available) because many advanced math courses use proofs.
(Many stat MS programs, on the other hand, only require math through Calc 3/linear algebra, whether they need a proof-type class like Real Analysis depends on the school).</p>