Biomedical Engineering

<p>What type of stats are required to have a real chance of getting into the biomedical engineering program? I tried finding some information on UT's website but all I could find out is that it's highly competitive. Also, if anyone could tell me if my stats are on track or too low that would be nice too. </p>

<p>ACT:
28 English
29 Reading
34 Science
35 Math
32 Composite</p>

<p>GPA/Rank:
4.1 W
Top 10 percent
Also, I'm not sure if it matters or not but i go to a very OOS competitive school (we've been Science Olympiad national champions two years straight).</p>

<p>To recap, I'm just wondering what kind of stats you need to get into BME and also if my stats are on track or not.</p>

<p>BME is very competitive. BME accepts around 100 each year. And those students are usually the top of top 10%. Top 1-2%, 1450+ M/CR , & some good EC's will make you competitive. </p>

<p>You're doing pretty well. Class rank isn't where one would want it to be for BME. MaineLonghorn's son got in OOS and should know more about getting into BME...</p>

<p>Thanks for that. My only question is when you say top 1-2% do you mean in you high school class? At my school you literally need to take every honors class available and get an A+ in almost everyone to be in the top 1-2% so that's not me... lol</p>

<p>Yes, top 1-2% of your school class. You don't have to be top 1-2%, but you should be close to it though. Don't really know how UT views OOS applicants on rank though. But you have a decent shot at BME.</p>

<p>A guy I know got into BME and wasn't even near the top 10%, let alone the top 1%. He did have a good SAT score (2200+ish) and was kind of involved with some ECs. </p>

<p>But he may be one of the exceptions to the rule of high rank and test scores.</p>

<p>
[quote]
My only question is when you say top 1-2% do you mean in you high school class? At my school you literally need to take every honors class available and get an A+ in almost everyone to be in the top 1-2%

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Hence why getting into this program is competitive to say the least. To judge your chances is difficult because you are OOS which is a whole different ball game. You have good stats, and if your school is as competitive as you say it is, then I would think that they would be a bit more lenient about the rank not being top 1-2%. </p>

<p>I want to just put this out there too: If BME does not work out, are you willing to go for another engineering discipline such as ME,EE, or ChemE which would allow you to go to BME grad school? You would have much better chances getting admitted into those programs. If the plan is Med school, however, then I guess this would not be a great option.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>CBunk, as Xcellerator mentioned, my OOS son got into Biomedical starting this fall. His school doesn't rank at all. His SAT scores were 690 CR, 750 W, and 780 M (1470/2220). He was also an Eagle Scout and one of the top distance runners in the state. He worked VERY hard on his essay - make sure you submit a good one!</p>

<p>He spoke to an upperclassman from Missouri whose stats weren't as good, but he still got into BME. So I'd say you have a good shot! Good luck!</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies. Would the fact that I'm OOS be a positive or negative in the eyes of UT? I would think it would a negative but based on some of your posts it seems like it could be a positive.</p>

<p>It can depend. You won't qualify for the whole instate top 10%/8% rule or w/e it is now. But they do admit 25% of the students holistically now (it used to be a bit lower, but not by much). So you are graded against other non-top8%'ers from instate and other out of states. This honestly could be beneficial or not, it all depends on your major, and I don't know anything specifically for non-business majors.</p>

<p>M:800 CR:660 W:690 (1460/2150) Top 3% rejected here :(</p>