Biomedical/Tissue Engineering - Midwest Undergrad

<p>My daughter, a HS Senior interested in tissue engineering, is trying to decide on a college. (She MAY eventually decide to go to med school.) We've found that some schools have a BME focus or track in tissue engineering, and some don't. </p>

<p>Will it make a difference to her future if she chooses a school with a tissue engineering focus at the undergraduate level, or will she be just as well off waiting until grad school for such a specific focus? </p>

<p>She has been accepted at:
Univ. of MI Ann Arbor (has tissue focus)
Univ. of WI Madison (NO tissue focus)
Marquette University (offered an awesome scholarship but NO tissue focus)
Univ. of IL (our home state & best deal financially, has tissue focus)</p>

<p>She's waiting to hear from Wash. U. in St. Louis and Northwestern (both have tissue focus).</p>

<p>We'd also appreciate any opinions on which of these options will give us the most bang for the buck.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I would personally study at UofI given the financial benefits you get from in-state. However, I would try visiting Michigan. Michigan has an excellent engineering program and a medical program.</p>

<p>At both UofI and UofM, you can focus on tissue engineering by working in research labs early in your college career.</p>

<p>Both St. Louis and Northwestern are great programs for medically minded people, but for engineering they're both a little lacking.</p>

<p>It's a hard choice and I'd look into cost and fit to make final decisions.</p>

<p>@j89 - How early can you work in research labs at UIUC and UofM? We are in a similar situation but we also have GT on our list. Thanks</p>

<p>Even if your kid has 12 to 13 AP courses (only a handful of which she could use in most eng. programs), it's too early to decide on tissue engineering specifically. Tissue engineering is a graduate level area of study. </p>

<p>As you know, Michigan, WashU, and NW are top 20 ranked BME schools, but are not currently considered top "tissue engineering" schools while they are top BME schools. There are certain big names in tissue engineering and usually they are affiliated with really good med schools like Penn. Also, Wake Forest/VA Tech is surprisingly strong for graduate level tissue engineering and they are doing fascinating work there. Others include UC San Diego, UCSF/Berkeley, Stanford, Johns, UT Austin, MIT, and of course, GA Tech. All this said, it's really too early to be that focused--a lot of growing takes place in four years. </p>

<p>Call the engineering departments. You'll be surprised who is willing to talk with you. Best of luck.</p>

<p>Thanks so much for your help. We do have have a visit scheduled at UofM in March. We're looking forward to it because we keep hearing more & more good things about it. This is a tough decision, but it sounds like we sould put more weight on the financial part of it rather than the "tissue engineering" factor. We might have been willing to spend more money (take out more loans) for a school with tissue eng. if it would make a big difference in her future, but maybe that won't be necessary. So ... now we wait for the financial aid packages (and decisions from Wash. U. and Northwestern).</p>

<p>I don't know about tissue engineering, but I do know that graduate level classes don't have enforced prerequisites at Michigan. Meaning your daughter could sign up for tissue engineering classes which interest her as early as first semester freshman year (not that it's necessarily recommended...). Most schools would not allow that.</p>

<p>Thanks, Vladenschlutte. That is good to know. It sounds like a possible way for her to find out if tissue engineering is really what she wants -- and if it is, it might get her a bit of a head start.</p>