Blue Book Math Help Please?

<p>Page 547, number 13.</p>

<p>Or, if you don't have the book:</p>

<p>In a certain game, each token has one of three possible values: 1 point, 5 points, or 10 points. How many different combinations of these token values are worth a total of 17 points?</p>

<p>a) 2 b)3 c)4 d)5 e)6</p>

<p>I saw the CollegeBoard's attempt to explain it online (SAT Course), but all they do is list the combinations, not how to GET the combinations...</p>

<p>Can someone explain this to me? The correct answer is E.</p>

<p>Most combinations problems on the SAT allow for quick solutions. It is often as easy to list the possibilities. </p>

<p>Let o = 1 point token
Let f = 5 point token
Let t = 10 point token</p>

<p>t + 7o
t + f + 2o
2t = Too high (20)
f + 12o
2f + 7o
3f + 2o
4f = Too high (20)
17o </p>

<p>The easiest is to make a table of values. The important part is to realize that you could only have 0 or 1 token of TEN and 0, 1, 2, 3 token of FIVE. .</p>

<p>Okay thanks! And by the way, I recently sent you a message, saying that your guide was very helpful.</p>

<p>But:</p>

<p>1) How can I get my writing score up from a 670 to an 800?
2) I know you said Kaplan's SAT's are fake compared to the CollegeBoard's, but is Kaplan still OK to study with? My school gave me a free, online Kaplan program. Is it okay to use?</p>

<p>I have the blue book; I am up to test 4. My score for test three was an 1890.</p>

<p>You should use the Kaplan course, as it was available free. Just don't take it with too much salt during the practice tests.</p>

<p>Ok. Thanks, but what do you mean by ''take it with too much salt''? And yes, what should I practice with to get my writing score up by about 150 points? Barron's? Grubers? Brands that aren't available in Barnes and Noble (like Dr. Chung for Math)?</p>

<p>Not for the essay, but for fixing sentences and paragraphs.</p>

<p>The SAT I writing test is simply a grammar test. Memorize all of the grammar rules and you can significantly improve your score. Ameliorating the writing score is the easiest of the three categories (from personal experience). Take the Kaplan tests with a grain of salt because they are manufactured by Kaplan and not released tests from College Board. Also, I have heard that Kaplan's math section is much harder than the SAT's actual math section. I used private tutors who had past tests. When one takes the SAT, they can pay an additional $18 (do not quote me on that number; its in that area) for a copy. Try to obtain tests from people who have done this or find them online. In the blue book, the first three tests are past tests (tests actually taken by students for live scores) and the last seven are fake (but still created by the College Board who creates the test and therefore helpful). Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Thank you.</p>