boarding school: 3 years or 4?

<p>Would love to hear some discussion from parents and students on the benefits or drawbacks to entering boarding school in the 9th or 10th grade. I have pros and cons on both. Any comments appreciated.</p>

<p>Well i'm not a boarder, but my school does have boarding, and from what i see among my boarder friends is that it's better to enter boarding in Gr 9/10 then later. First of all it gives you time to settle in, so that you're totally comfortable by the time 11th grade rolls around and you can spend the last years of high school enjoying yourself rather than still trying to fit in....and second of all, if you've got to enter boarding might as well just do it when you start high school......</p>

<p>I entered 10th grade and I think its great. Don't have lots of the requirements that people who entered in 9th grade do, but I still feel like I fit in nicely. </p>

<p>But sometimes I do wish I had entered in 9th grade.</p>

<p>mathwiz, are you glad you got oone year at the high school you were attending? Was another year at home helpful and do you see any "burnout" among the crowd that was there for 4 years?</p>

<p>Four years of boarding is a grand experience.........4 years seniors have great prestige at most schools. That being said, many kids who enter in third year do just fine, have met many requirements at their home HS and can take advantage of bringing in a perfect GPA. It all depends on the maturity of the student who is enrolling.</p>

<p>hazmat, did you leave younger sibs at home when you left? How was that relationship changed by your leaving? thanks</p>