Books

<p>Do different sections of freshman core courses use different books, or do some have additional books while others do not? I'm wondering because I would like to purchase used books from on-line sellers. This generates another question: Is this risky because sometimes used book purchases arrive slowly, therefore you might be at risk of falling behind early? Are students doing this a lot, do some get into trouble by doing this?</p>

<p>
[quote]
Do different sections of freshman core courses use different books, or do some have additional books while others do not?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>They can vary, but they rarely do. For the large classes (Chem I, Physics I, Calculus, etc), the department will recommend a book, and usually all professors use that book. What you do have to watch out for is that departments will change their recommendations from year to year (ordering this year's Calculus book is no good if they change the book for next year).</p>

<p>Instead, what you'll want to do is go to the Bookstore's website. Go to the section that says "Order your Textbooks Online Today" and enter your class info. The website will then give you the textbook name, authors, edition, and the Barnes&Nobel price (it might not have that info right now, but it will by July). If your classes don't show up, call the bookstore (or visit during Faset) and ask for the above info.</p>

<p>Then you can shop around online and you can call the Engineer's Bookstore (Engineer's</a> Bookstore). If the prices are close, you probably want to buy from Barnes and Nobel or Engineer's in case you need to return the book.</p>

<p>Sometimes you can save money by purchasing international editions or older editions. International editions are usually fine. I would check with the professor before purchasing an old edition. If you purchase either, what you'll want to do is find someone with the "real" book. If the professor tells you to read Chapter 8, make sure the "real" Chapter 8 is the same as your Chapter 8 (sometimes publishers move around chapters when changing editions) and if you're asked to do Problem 8.2 for homework, make sure it matches your 8.2. </p>

<p>
[quote]
I'm wondering because I would like to purchase used books from on-line sellers. This generates another question: Is this risky because sometimes used book purchases arrive slowly, therefore you might be at risk of falling behind early?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Yes, it's risky, but if you follow the procedure above, you can place your order a month or so ahead of time. If you run into a situation where you've ordered a book and it hasn't come yet, you can always buy that book at the GT Bookstore, then return it before the return deadline for a full refund.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Are students doing this a lot, do some get into trouble by doing this?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>The students that get in trouble are the ones that wait until the first week of classes then place an online order.</p>