Booz Allen Hamilton Internship Help

<p>Hey everyone,</p>

<p>I'm a first time poster. I haven't been to CC since 2007 when I was applying for college, but I was hoping to get any advice that you might have on attaining an internship at Booz Allen Hamilton. I graduated last year and have been looking for a chance to get into healthcare consulting. I applied to Booz Allen Hamilton twice in my junior year and my senior year for a summer position but had no luck. I am planning to go to grad school in the fall for public health and am planning to try again. How would you suggest I go about this? Where might I be able to network and connect with recruiters? Thank you.</p>

<p>Comments:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>First off, expand your internship search to more than BAH. There are a lot of other healthcare consulting firms out there that you can intern at and the more resumes you send out the more options you have. Perhaps BAH is a bit out of your league. I'm not sure and you'll never know.</p></li>
<li><p>Does your school have any networking opportunities with BAH? If you don't know find out. The more you interact with recruiters, the higher the potential it is that they'll remember you and when they see your resume, they'll recognize you. </p></li>
<li><p>Do you know any professors that may have connections with BAH? If you know a professor well enough, you might be able to have him hook you up with someone in the company.</p></li>
<li><p>If all else fails, try cold calling and asking for more information regarding the internship opportunity.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>I don't suppose visiting the lobby and trying to meet with recruiters is a fruitful endeavor (a la 'pursuit of happyness') ?</p>

<p>Why Booz Allen Hamilton?
I find it hard to believe that this is a serious post, but BAH doesn't really do healthcare consulting, at least in the traditional sense.</p>

<p>Their "Health" consulting (described below) is the closest you can get to healthcare.

[quote]

Booz Allen works with all major agencies at the Department of Health and Human Services, including the US Food and Drug Administration, National Institutes of Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. We support the Department of Defense Military Health System, Department of Veterans Affairs, Department of Homeland Security, US Agency for International Development, and the Department of Agriculture. Booz Allen also assists nonprofit organizations as they work to achieve critical health missions.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Also, on the off chance that this is a serious post, how exactly are you applying.
If it's through there web site, you're not going to get an interview that way.</p>

<p>This is a serious post. I work as a researcher at one of those agencies you just listed. I want to transition away from research to consulting. I'm just going through the website; I'm not really sure how to get my foot in the door as most of contacts are researchers and not in the consulting field. What other firms do you suggest?</p>

<p>My apologies,</p>

<p>I don't know a ton about the industry, but it sounds like you're looking for more of a government consulting role that works primarily with healthcare agencies. </p>

<p>I'm not quite sure if these companies fit the bill, but have a look.</p>

<p>LMI</a> Government Consulting - Health Systems Management
Health</a> Consulting Services and Solutions » ICF Intl
US</a> Federal Government - Accenture
Center</a> for Health Solutions
Global</a> Health</p>

<p>Healthcare consulting would be more along the lines of this. Basically, a similar function, but for the private sector rather than the government.
Healthcare</a> - Huron Consulting Group</p>

<p>As far as reaching out to people, do you have alumni in the area or at least at firms that offer what you're looking for?
They are usually your best bet.
Do you know any researchers who have made jump from research to consulting?
If not, do you have any way of coming into contact with any?</p>

<p>If not, just finding people on linkedin may be your best bet. If you can find some sort of common ground with even random people (be it you school, hometown, former position, sports, ... you're golden).</p>

<p>Thanks man! This is what I was looking for. I apologize for my greeness. I don't have much experience outside of research. Is it appropriate to cold email linkedin people?</p>

<p>Does it matter if it's appropriate? It's not like you have a ton of other options and it sounds like you have nothing to lose by trying.
If they're bothered by it, it takes like 2 seconds to delete it.
Just some general tips:
Try to send something to their work email. You can find the company email format online and you can look up their name on linkedin. From there, it should be pretty easy to deduce their email.
Also, read as much about the industry as possible. No one's going to want to waste their time answering a question you can easily find online.
Best of luck to you.</p>