Boss House PLACE program

<p>So I got a call from the housing service asking me whether I want to live in Boss since my roommate got into the PLACE (Program for Leadership and Civic Engagement).</p>

<p>My question is:
Boss really isn't anywhere near my top dorm choices. I really want to live in Donner because of the size and in terms of social environment.
the PLACE programs will put all their students on the third floor.
Is it any different from the other two floors?</p>

<p>and what exactly does the PLACE program do?
does Boss have a good community?</p>

<p>Nota bene: This is only my perspective and it's probably heavily biased based off the kids I know who are from Boss. So take it with a grain of salt. </p>

<p>That said, it seems like most of the "special program" kids in Boss - PLACE, Humanities Scholars, etc - are kind of the uppity, better-than-you type. Every one that I've met except for one girl was the intellectualist hipster type who thinks that at eighteen they're God's Gift To Mankind because they're in the honors program. On the contrary, Donner kids were laid back and funny and their dorm is known for having a particularly tight, fun community, like Morewood, Stever and Mudge.</p>

<p>The one girl I knew who didn't fit the Boss stereotype disliked Boss for the same reason and switched out of the house mid-year.</p>

<p>I think the PLACE program is primarily focused on talking about current events and holding discussion groups on those subjects - you will also be placed with kids who apparently show an interest in such topics. Most of the Boss floors seem intermingled, because every Boss kid I've met seemed to know other kids on different floors, so I can only presume from that.</p>

<p>completelykate: I am a incoming sophomore that was thrown into a prime single in Welch through open assignment(not that I am complaining, lol- open assignment was for the kids with numbers so ****ty they ran out of housing). I know that welch is a quiet living place. They might have done this because I was on Mudge C3 last year(it was a crypt, I spent most of my time in one of the A2 quads). My roommate last year in Mudge C3 was sort of uppity, never talked to me(I tried, consciously, to be nice), stole the stuff out of my fridge, put water in my hair soap(i am not sure if this is intentional), didnt let me sleep, wouldnt let me listen to any sort of music at all out loud(when she did so herself), brought boyfriends in(even though she called the RA the ONE time i brought mine in(not for sex or anything like that) etc. Do you believe that since I was thrown into the quiet building again, which is technically "special" housing, that there will be an uppity attitude, much like Boss PLACE or Mudge C3?</p>

<p>Hahah, I don't know if I would really count Welch as part of the special housing program. I've met four or five kids from there and asked them, "how's the substance program thing?" to which they'd respond, "I basically picked Welch because it looked like it had nice rooms and I don't really care about the program." Whereas with Boss, HS and PLACE, you have to be invited by a committee that decides you're special enough.</p>

<p>I know one girl in Welch whose RA went postal on her and her friends this year because they were basically having a party in their room, but that's really all I know about how "strict" they are on quietness.</p>

<p>And yeah, C3 was a scary floor this year. I don't know if you knew Julia or not (won't give away her last name) but it seemed like the whole floor was her type of kid - goes to bed at 9 PM, no social life, always working or complaining about how tired they are of other people.</p>

<p>Was my neighbor- we shared bathrooms. Both her roommate - and my roommate(thank god!) moved out after fall semester(I think her roommate was also living in A2). I have no idea about the "nice rooms" since that virtual tour thing doesnt work on my computer. The room looked tiny from the floor plan- but I do have one of the "bigger" singles, so Im going to try and squeeze my couch in there(I bought a $20 couch for summer living, and im not going to end up with one this nice again since I dont have a car). I wonder if it has AC.</p>

<p>Anyway, Mudge C3- I never met any of them, at all, except the RA, and this kid that managed to get a single through regular decision, when I definitely asked for one, and i was ED >_<. The floor as a whole never got to know each other.</p>

<p>I hope that Welch is not like Mudge C3, it was deserted.</p>

<p>Yep, that's her. Her roommate, the one that moved out, moved into my quad after the... interestingly snobby girl in our quad left CMU altogether. Your RA this year was Sebastian I think, correct? Or Sean? One of the two...</p>

<p>Welch DOES have AC to my knowledge, like Stever, where you can control it per room. I think someone mentioned that on this board somewhere. I've never been inside so I wouldn't know for certain.</p>

<p>The RA was Sebastien, yes. I know Henderson has AC, so you might be thinking of that dorm. I just hope the heat works, instead of last year where it was a good 50 degrees in my room after winter break. Their "fixing" it consisted of putting a space heater in the room. I really wish I could go inside of Welch during the summer to measure some things, but honestly, getting into the dorm as a whole is a no go, because the place is locked. Getting a single was a huge surprise to me since housing told me my chances of getting one were pretty much zero- but im still a little angry about the "prime single" pricing- but would rather the single over a double due to bad freshman roommate experience. I had a double to myself in Mudge, and that was such a great deal after the roomie left(for what or where, I have no clue, but I did know she was an ECE major, and needed a 3.0 to stay on scholarship(good luck with that)). </p>

<p>Where did you end up for this year? Everyone I know either took an apartment, or went off campus.</p>

<p>Oh, I could be thinking of Henderson. >_> Whoops. Hmm. I wonder if it's anywhere else on the Interwebs. Maybe someone else has asked the question before. </p>

<p>I and four of my friends ended up applying for the Special Interest Housing appropriation in Mudge. Basically, we'll be living in A100 with freshmen and we get a budget to host fun events for Mudge in exchange for having a nice place to stay at low cost. This year the A100 girls basically sat in their room and did homework all the time and never actually hosted anything, so our campaign promise was "We'll do a much better job than they did" and it worked. </p>

<p>We were all kind of thinking of applying to be RAs or Mentors, so it works out. This way we get to meet the freshmen and host LAN parties and Rock Band nights. (I'm bringing all my consoles again.) We're also having a Quidditch match on the first day of Orientation in exchange for the lame Youtube night our freshmen orientation had.</p>

<p>That sucks. I might wear a purple shirt during their orientation, and pretend im new, just so I can play. >-> <-< no one will find out!</p>

<p>The only thing A100 did was house. keep up with doing mudge pancakes. Looking back on it, I should have applied to be a mudge mentor, because that was the safest way to get a single... but stuff didnt happen because I thought i had a chance elseware(I just got insanely lucky).</p>

<p>Now im on the hill....which I am finding out they sometimes dont shovel.... Welch is identical to Scobell. I hope its not as lame as that building. The freshman ***** about Hammerschlag, but they should REALLY be *****ing about Scobell, which has the smaller rooms, and dont have the same community...</p>

<p>I was in Scobell my sophomore year (third floor double), and wasn't that great. The rooms get really hot and they tend to not shovel the hill (use the driveway or the stairs to walk down, it's usually safer). The only people on my hall I met that year were the guys from my hall freshman year (six of us wound up in Scobell, four more wound up in Oakland apartments because they had worse room draw numbers).</p>

<p>There's no AC, and if you're not in a corner room you'll only have one window. Expect it to get hot. Also, if the heat isn't working, make sure that there's a clear path below and above the radiator. The ones in Scobell worked by drawing air in the bottom and pushing it out the top, so the original room arrangement they gave us with a dresser blocking it prevented our heater from, well, heating.</p>

<p>I doubt your couch will fit in there, but you will have a sweet desk since it's just a giant board the size of your bed (enjoy the loft and watch your head).</p>

<p>
[quote]
I was in Scobell my sophomore year (third floor double), and wasn't that great.

[/quote]

I must have been lucky to get a prime single in Welch as an incoming sophomore. How were the singles in Scobell?</p>

<p>
[quote]
The rooms get really hot and they tend to not shovel the hill (use the driveway or the stairs to walk down, it's usually safer).

[/quote]

I have a pretty decent fan, but hot does bother me. The not shoveling doesnt since where I lived(central PA/middle of no where) , plowing kind of didnt happen, and almost the whole place was steep hills(pittsburgh is flat in comparison. The snow stuff doesnt bother me.</p>

<p>
[quote]
The only people on my hall I met that year were the guys from my hall freshman year (six of us wound up in Scobell, four more wound up in Oakland apartments because they had worse room draw numbers).

[/quote]

My room draw number was #1000 out of #1036(or something like that). They ran out of housing before they got to me.</p>

<p>
[quote]
There's no AC, and if you're not in a corner room you'll only have one window.

[/quote]

Im in a corner room. </p>

<p>
[quote]
Also, if the heat isn't working, make sure that there's a clear path below and above the radiator. The ones in Scobell worked by drawing air in the bottom and pushing it out the top, so the original room arrangement they gave us with a dresser blocking it prevented our heater from, well, heating.

[/quote]

I hope it works. The one i had last year didnt really work.... I feel bad for whoever gets MudgeC311...(ask for a space heater).</p>

<p>
[quote]
I doubt your couch will fit in there, but you will have a sweet desk since it's just a giant board the size of your bed (enjoy the loft and watch your head).

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I kind of have to make it fit, even if it looks really stupid. I am room 101 here:
<a href="http://www.housing.cmu.edu/buildings/welch/wel1.gif%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.housing.cmu.edu/buildings/welch/wel1.gif&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Due to door placement, i think i might be okay(unlike the rooms not on the corners. I really need a second eye here though.</p>

<p>Wait, Welch has suite style bathrooms? I thought it was identical to Scobell except for women. We had three showers for the whole floor. Oddly, one of them was a handicap shower even though we were on the third floor.</p>

<p>Corner rooms are good since you can put one fan in each window, one blowing in and one blowing out. Otherwise you have to leave your door open and hope the person across the hall will do the same, otherwise the air just sits in there (two of my friends had a room like this, we nicknamed their room "The Cave").</p>

<p>For room draw all of us were over 1000, though at the time CMU had more rooms open for upperclassmen, so we weren't in risk of not getting a place.</p>

<p>Those numbers were just for the incoming sophomore class. So... there was a sophomore with the #1, and so on. I obviously got the shaft. I was ****ed about it, but in the long run, I could have been the guy/gal towards the end that was the last one not under open assignment, and could have ended up with some of the worst housing(shady oak, etc). Because i was under open assignment, I ended up with a single as a sophomore, which is supposed to be "impossible".</p>

<p>
[quote]
We're also having a Quidditch match on the first day of Orientation in exchange for the lame Youtube night our freshmen orientation had

[/quote]
</p>

<p>OMG it's our first night in college let's all __________ !</p>

<p>For obvious reasons Youtube fails, but I'm not sure Quidditch is quite the direction you want to take from there haha</p>

<p>Well, the frat quad's closed, and the party in Stever was an epic fail. Dunno if you were there or not but it was basically 40 OCs and RAs doing the electric slide in the dancing room while everyone else stared in awkwardly and drank their root beer floats. Meanwhile, the pickup basketball game on Mudge's front terrace had like 100 people watching/playing at one point. We figured something athletic might help break the ice, with some food too so people could sit and chat. </p>

<p>Then again, I'm completely open to suggestions if y'all have any.</p>

<p>Most parties at CMU are epic fail. I think there was this Scobell one that was really bad last year....</p>

<p>Man, Shady Oak rocks. Huge rooms, AC, on-campus internet/cable, and before the Ghetto Eagle closed there was a supermarket within a few minutes' walk (you can still just walk up to Centre and take a bus down to the nice one in Shadyside).</p>

<p>Also, oh man, I remember the stuff they'd have for us at Scobell. They'd generally buy a billion hot wings, but there were never enough to be filling enough for a meal so you'd have to trek down to the UC for dinner anyway.</p>

<p>Ahah, I'd say based on my orientation experience that orientation parties at CMU are just epic fail period. This past year we had:</p>

<p>Morewood - smores and giant roaring bonfires. It was like 80 degrees outside after a day of intense heat, and the fires made it 90. Nice.</p>

<p>Mudge - "pick your favorite youtube video" night. Most youtube videos are like three minutes long. Lots of awkward silences where no one wanted to volunteer to pick a video and/or they were not funny so no one laughed. ):</p>

<p>Stever - see above, massive rootbeer float party fail where only the RAs and OCs were taking part. All the guys were standing around trying to chat up girls. Some of the nerdier ones, looking to reverse four years of being the high school punching bag, decided to attempt being ladies' men. ("Yo babe I'm an engineer from Boston, where chu from grrl.")</p>

<p>Donner appeared to be having a board game night when my floor and I awkwardly walked through while trying to bond. I don't know if that's what they were actually doing or if that was just what it appeared to be.</p>

<p>I liked Shady Oaks, stayed there my first visit and thought those rooms were really nice and big especially being a single. But I guess it is kinda far.</p>

<p>I don't know what I'd like to do with the RAs. Um....yeah, movie? Playing ninja is fun and athletic, um...yeah. I've heard the orientation is really kick ass at carnegie but I guess this is just RA house things. I don't think I'd like the youtube thing.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Man, Shady Oak rocks. Huge rooms, AC, on-campus internet/cable, and before the Ghetto Eagle closed there was a supermarket within a few minutes' walk (you can still just walk up to Centre and take a bus down to the nice one in Shadyside).

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I thought Shady Oak was a gamble. They came in and did some "renovations", which cut "some" of the rooms in half. Also, I dont want to walk.. especially after getting 3 days off last year because Pittsburgh decided they didnt want to plow the roads.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Mudge - "pick your favorite youtube video" night. Most youtube videos are like three minutes long. Lots of awkward silences where no one wanted to volunteer to pick a video and/or they were not funny so no one laughed. ):

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I remember walking by and thinking this was stupid. They were basically standing watching Dragonball Z.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Also, oh man, I remember the stuff they'd have for us at Scobell. They'd generally buy a billion hot wings, but there were never enough to be filling enough for a meal so you'd have to trek down to the UC for dinner anyway.

[/quote]

This actually sounds decent. </p>

<p>
[quote]
Stever - see above, massive rootbeer float party fail where only the RAs and OCs were taking part. All the guys were standing around trying to chat up girls. Some of the nerdier ones, looking to reverse four years of being the high school punching bag, decided to attempt being ladies' men. ("Yo babe I'm an engineer from Boston, where chu from grrl.")

[/quote]

Oh no...</p>

<p>
[quote]
I've heard the orientation is really kick ass at carnegie

[/quote]

There were actually a few times I tried to ditch. You need to be careful, because at some places they take attendance. Ice breaker games get old(but go, I met people at these and had longlasting relationships), and so does meeting people you arent going to remember the names to that arent in your dorm room(playfair.... I thought this was lame and saw NO benefits from...). I actually didnt like them knocking on my door at 8AM to get up for these.. The tours were tight though. I met my now BF on one of those.</p>