Bringing Important Documents.

<p>Should stuff like Birth Cert., SS card and passports be brought to dorms?</p>

<p>Absolutely not. The only numbers I've needed in the last 3 years are my social (you don't need the card and memorizing 9 digits is easy), and my driver's license number (for insurance).</p>

<p>Bring a passport if you have it, but otherwise, just the birth certificate will do. Memorize your SSN.</p>

<p>The passport will pretty much get you anything you need, including a quick way out of the country's borders if necessary.</p>

including a quick way out of the country's borders if necessary.


<p>lol. What exactly are you studying? Advanced Narcotic Production Engineering?</p>

<p>You might need your original social security card if you get a job at college. And obviously bring your passport if you plan to travel abroad in the near future. (Heck, our geology department takes the freshmen majors on a field trip to exotic places during fall break!)</p>

<p>I do have all of my important documents in the dorms. I am glad I have them because I do need them every now and then.</p>

<p>Passport, yes (if you plan on going abroad that year). Others- I doubt it.</p>

<p>Social Security card and passport. Passport especially if you're in a border state like here in Michigan...</p>

<p>i think enhanced drivers license over passport. One less document to lose over the border.</p>

<p>Bring the drivers license. If you're gonna study abroad or go out of the country while you're up there bring the passport. Memorize the social. If you can't just make a copy. If you get a job while you're up there then get your parents to send you the original.</p>

<p>I brought every document with me and put it in a small locker that it had in my dorm room.</p>

<p>Only if you need to. I'm doing a work-study at my school so I have to bring my driver's license and either my SS card or my birth certificate.</p>

<p>I believe you need a passport now even for Canada and Mexico so a driver's license won't be of much help for that. But definitely bring it as well! If you're a permanent resident like me then bring your green card as well (required by law to have it anyway).</p>

<p>If you're gonna get a job you may want your SS card although the last two jobs I've held never bothered getting it. The first one I just told them my SSN and the second one I gave them a printout from the SSA and they never bugged me for the actual card.</p>

<p>e: Nevermind, didn't know what an enhanced driver's license was.</p>


including a quick way out of the country's borders if necessary.


lol. What exactly are you studying? Advanced Narcotic Production Engineering?


<p>That's a good example if you're the type to get into a lot of trouble.</p>

<p>However, I only said "if necessary." I tell you, when a bunch of my best friends decides to go on a last minute trip to Europe and invites me along with free tickets to a rave in Ibiza, I "need" to go!</p>

<p>I think it was the wording of the sentence that threw him off. To me it implied a sense of urgency brought on by impending doom, e.g. a total collapse of government and lawless anarchy.</p>

<p>If you are getting a job, you will need your birth certificate and probably your SS card too. And definitely bring your driver's license, a lot of times just to buy something you will need state ID (school ID won't work).</p>

<p>If you're getting a job, a passport replaces the need to have bring a state or Federally-issued picture ID (eg driver's license) and Social Security card with you, provided that you know your social security number, as a passport proves both identity and citizenship. Enhanced driver's licenses do much the same thing, but are not as well-known and are only available in MI, NY, VT, and WA.</p>

<p>SEA_tide, a passport is under the same classification of ID as a driver's license. You will need a Social Security card in addition to a driver's license OR a passport.</p>

<p>A copy of a social security card is usually just as good as the real thing. For my job on campus I just needed my drivers license and passport.</p>

<p>I've got my passport, that usually trumps everything for proving ID/citizenship...haven't needed anything else.</p>

<p>I did bring my passport, and so did most friends. But our school is 20 minutes from Canada, so we'd make trips across the border a few times per semester.</p>

<p>Passenger, on the I-9 form (the form you fill out to show identity and employment eligibility once starting a job), a passport satisfies both requirements as it is an A list document, while a driver's license only proves identity as it is a B list document. I-9</a> (form) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and needs a supporting document that proves eligibility to work, such as a social security card. Employers must accept either 1 A list document or a combination of 1 B list document and 1 C list document and cannot specify that either the former or the latter is the only acceptable documentation.</p>

<p>For employment purposes, a passport and one's social security number (not the card) is all that is required.</p>