Brown University?

<p>What are my REAL chances of getting into Brown, my DREAM school? Not the sugar-coated teacher response...</p>

<p>SAT I:
June 2011
Reading: 530 Math: 610 Writing: 600
TOTAL: 1740
March 2011
Reading: 560 Math: 600 Writing: 550
TOTAL: 1710</p>

<p>SAT II:
Lit: 520 Math 2: 610 Spanish: 670</p>

<p>Unweighted GPA (4.0): 3.38
Academic GPA: 3.6
AP: US History (3) Eng Lang (3) Eng Lit (2) Spanish Lang (3) Government (N/A) Calculus A/B (N/A) Statistics (N/A) Physics (N/A)
Senior Year Courseload: Sociology, AP Gov/Econ, AP Eng. Lit, AP Calculus, AP Stats, AP Physics
Major Awards: Academic Achievement Award (4 times, need to get 3.8 or higher), 13 1st place MESA awards, many 1st and 2nd place Ballet Folklorico awards</p>

<p>Extra Curricular:
Ballet Folklorico (6 years), ASB (3 years), class president (2 years), MESA (6 years), AVID (2 years), Educational Talent Search (6 years), Upward Bound (4 years) Saints Varsity Club (3 years, community service club)</p>

<p>Community Service:
About... 100 hours? maybe 150?</p>

<p>Mmm... what else??</p>

<p>I come from a public school where only about 20 people go to a university each year, despite the fact that we have well over 2,000 students. I'm not a native English speaker and I am the only member in my family, immediate and extended, that will be going to college.
And, this is my first post on the website, EVER. So, sorry if I left out vital information.</p>

<p>It's a reach, no doubt about it. But nothing's impossible.</p>

<p>A huge reach? :/</p>

<p>It's pretty much impossible. Your scores show it would be hard for you to succeed there now, and they won't accept students who they don't think will succeed.</p>

<p>Hmm... I appreciate the honesty.</p>

<p>Yeah, not gonna happen given very weak academics (for a school like Brown).</p>

<p>Yeah, it's a really high reach. Almost impossible. Most people who go to Ivy Leagues have almost perfect, if not 4.0 GPA's. That doesn't mean that people with a few B's don't get in, it's just that extremely high achievers get into Ivy Leagues. </p>

<p>Don't give up on the idea of transferring, or just going to Brown for graduate studies.
Schools that you should keep in mind: Lower UC's maybe UCSD, definitely UCSB, UCDavis, Drew, UMass, BU. Maybe there are some nice in state colleges that give you a cart load of benefits. Keep your chin up and your options open! (:</p>

<p>The first-gen status helps, but in your position, unless you are an URM (i.e. Hispanic/African American) with some massive hook of some sort (curing cancer seems to be the conventional example for this), don't get your hopes up at all if you still choose to apply. It's nothing against you, but I simply do not see anything that would tell me you are Ivy-League level. You're SAT scores and GPA are decent, but realistically they are much more suited in a range of lower tiered schools. Check out the colleges the other guys have mentioned.</p>

<p>Even if you are a urm, you still need around a 2000 sat minimum to be competitive at a school like brown. I'm sorry but I think you have no chance at brown. Aim lower</p>

<p>I wouldn't even bother applying with your SAT scores. Waayyy too low. Definitely expect a rejection... Sorry, but it's the truth.</p>