BS vs. BPhil ?

<p>What is the difference between a Bachelor of Science degree, and a Bachelor of Philosophy degree? (At Pitt you can get a BPhil in IS, and I've only ever seen BSs...?)</p>

<p>BPhil is a degree awarded by the honors college. The "phil" part is really just a distinction from BS or BA because of the thesis you're required to complete.</p>

<p>Isn't the thesis based on research completed?</p>

<p>This is probably a decision you will make after you start at Pitt, isimarie.</p>

<p>So does that mean that the International Studies degree is only awarded if you are in the Honors College? (And is there a BS in international studies if you are not?) I tried to look but for some reason I could only find the graduate program for IS...maybe it was because it was 2 AM when I was looking :)</p>

<p>At Pitt you really are not in or out of the honors college. Students can take honors classes if they maintain a certain GPA. The BPhil from what I understand is a degree earned by students who complete a research project and paper. If I remember correctly, you are required to stay on campus one summer to complete the project. It has been two years since I heard the presentation, so I could be a little foggy.</p>

<p>If you do not complete the project and paper, you would get the B.S. Not all students who are accepted initially to the honors college will complete the BPhil. Pitt's honors college is not like most of the others. For example, my daughter was eligible to take honors classes when she went to Pitt, but only took three honors classes (two physics, one chemistry) her freshman year. I do not think she will take any this year.</p>

<p>BPhil can be thought of as a more advanced BS. It is the undergraduate equivalent of a PhD, as it requires a original research component. I don't think you are required to stay a summer to get a BPhil, although depending on your field they may recommend summer field programs, and that may be helpful to do that depending on the research needed to be completed in a particular field. The BPhil requires a thesis and its defense (to a private board of honors college faculty). You probably have to take some honors level courses as well. However, I don't think it is particularly difficult to turn multiple years of undergraduate research into a thesis if you doing that research anyway. (see here</a>) </p>

<p>The IS BPhil is an undergraduate degree, but it is a special program just through the honors college in collaboration with the Center for International Studies, so its completion has the same additional requirements as any other honors college BPhil, but I believe it would provide much better training than a standard IS BS at another school. You probably have found it, but there is more about the program [here[/url</a>]</p>

<p>Pitt's Center for International Studies coordinates programs among all study areas, and all the schools and departments, throughout the university in a multidisciplinary approach to multiple topics. For a non-honors, undergraduate program in that would include international topics, you would choose a major in a school or department and complement that with a certificate program(s) from Pitt's Center for International Studies. For instance, something like the Global Studies program certificate, which is a collaborative program between the Center and the Graduate School of Public and International Affairs and focuses on topical specializations in international studies...e.g. health, conflict resolution, sustainability, etc. If you were interested particularly in Asian business, you'd probably want to a certificate in Asian Studies with an undergrad business major. Operating as a Center, instead of a single program, allows it to pull in resources from all over the university...all the schools, centers and departments: like language departments, education, health sciences, business, history, political science, economics, along with the national resource centers in Latin American, Asian, Russian, and East & West European studies, among others. For undergrads it also provides special housing in the International Studies Living and Learning Communities and coordinates study abroad and research/fellowship opportunities. That may make it more confusing, so I would highly recommend contact the UCIS and asking questions (see contact info at the bottom of the page [url=<a href=""&gt;]here](&lt;a href=""&gt;;/a&gt;)&lt;/p>

<p>I see that this hasn't been posted on for some time, but the options do seem a little more confusing relative to a B.A. that one would gain at a different school. But I'm sure that can be digested. I guess the practical question would be how does this help in the job market or more likely in the grad school quest? Is this effectively some overlap for a grad school program?</p>



<p>I'd definitely say grad school. You're conducting research/preparing a thesis for defense. In my opinion, that's a strong way to improve your "resume" for applying to grad school, where you will be doing more of the same thing.</p>

<p>At the same time, people go to grad school (where they write a thesis) to make themselves stand out in the job, I guess either really works.</p>