I’m glad I happened to click on your thread, because I didn’t receive a tag. I believe you need to add an @ in front of the username @ardub in order to be tagged. So @wesbound25 might not have received a notification until I just sent one.
Your D has some cool academic interests. With a $40k budget, it’s still possible to apply to schools with a high NPC, but they have to offer merit aid in order to get a big scholarship. Brown and UPenn do not, so you’ll probably want to eliminate those if the NPC does not come in under budget (they only offer need-based aid). I like the other schools on your list, though.
U. of Arizona used to give very generous merit aid, but I think that merit aid awards decreased and tuition increased, making it not nearly as awesome a financial deal. But I think it could still come in within your budget. Tucson is a good-sized city, it’s a big school with nearly 45k undergrads, and it has a relatively popular creative writing major. This would be an extremely likely admit for your D.
I’m going to mention another school that might make you go “huh?”, but I think it’s worth checking out: Ithaca College. Ithaca is not a big city, but it’s a definite college town. Ithaca College itself has about 4300 undergrads, so not a huge school, but I’d call it mid-sized. But the town of Ithaca is also home to Cornell which is about a mile away and hosts another 16k undergrads. Plus students at Ithaca & Cornell can cross-register for classes at the other school. It offers a BA in Writing with various concentrations, including creative writing. If she becomes super-intent on becoming a physical therapist, there’s an accelerated option with a DPT. And there may be additional moneys available for your D at colleges in NY (which obviously would apply to any in NY, not just Ithaca).
Another school she may want to check out is Chapman (CA). It has about 7700 undergrads and is in the L.A. metro area. If she really wants to dive hard core into creative writing it offers a BFA in the subject. A BFA will require significantly more coursework in the subject than a regular BA, so she’ll need to decide if that’s something she finds attractive or not.
UNC-WIlmington has about 15k undergrads and will come in (just) under budget without any merit aid at all. You can read more about the offerings in its department of creative writing. Although the city is not a major metropolis, it’s definitely a city and a growing metro right on the Atlantic.
U. of Cincinnati (OH) is another school I’d recommend checking out. Cincinnati is big enough to have a couple of major league sports teams, and UC offers both a concentration in creative writing as well as a certificate in creative writing (see more). And I believe all Ohio publics freeze tuition for four years so you don’t have to worry about increasing costs as she progresses through the degree.
ETA: And others were sharing some of the same info on pricing while I was writing!