Business Honors Program

<p>How hard is it to get into BHP??<br>
My numbers:
- 16/617 in rank (2.something%)
- 1590 SAT </p>

<p>ECs:
- Average
- president of 1 club, co-president of another, treasurer, class rep is the extent of leadership</p>

<p>Work experience is pretty solid</p>

<p>Community service is also average</p>

<p>Even though the app is due on Feb 1st, when is a good time to apply?</p>

<p>i'm pretty sure you'll get in (assuming you're in-state)</p>

<p>Yeah I'm in state.... hey, is this essay too political for topic A? AHHHH Are they liberal or conservative? </p>

<pre><code>“Okay everyone, time for recess,” I said enthusiastically to a class of eager and rowdy preschoolers. While the rest of my friends were playing tennis or going to the mall, I was volunteering as a teacher's assistant at the Round Rock ISD pre-kindergarten summer school for ESL students. Recess was my favorite part of the day. Away from the classroom, recess was when the kids really opened up to me. The warmth and innocence of a child filled my heart, traveled through my veins into my entirety, and gave me a feeling that I had returned to my childhood. I would run wild with the kids, have contests with the children to see who could twirl for the longest time, kiss boo boos, and promise to keep secrets. While I was pretending to be a tractor, I noticed a little girl who was silently crying at a corner.

“What’s wrong?” I asked as I walked up to her.

“They don’t like me,” she said through tears. As I looked into her eyes, I became completely empathetic because I saw a reflection myself in my middle school days. Middle school is supposed to be the integral time of transition. It was a time to search for identity, make new friends, and create an academic foundation for high school. I used to live in Pflugerville, a relatively small town with a predominantly white population. In every aspect, I defied the societal norms in the middle school community. I was one out of two Asians and one out of nine liberals in my school. Just like the girl in the corner, I was the pariah - the object of bullying.

“Hey, Mulan. Ching ching chong,” the girls would say to me during gym. In response, I smiled, but I really wanted to change myself so that I could be more like other people. When I was in eighth grade, the controversial elections of 2000 were held. My US history class conducted a mock election to get the student body more involved in politics. I suggested to our teacher that we should have speeches about the candidates in order to inform the students about the issues. Being passionate about politics and informed about current events, I was chosen to speak for the Democratic Party. At the pep rally before the mock election, the speeches were held. After the first speech, the crowd burst into applause. It was my turn. The words flowed freely and fit together perfectly like a puzzle. I didn’t feel nervous at all. After I finished my speech, the crowd broke out in boos and negative gestures. At first, I thought that people reacted this way because of the quality of my speech. After we counted up the votes for president, however, I knew why. The results were 328 for Bush and 9 for Gore. To almost all of the students, I represented the person that stood against their principles.

I constantly thought about what I should do about this problem. Obviously, I couldn’t change my ethnicity. Even though political views can change, my conscience would not let me support something that I didn’t believe in. The only thing I could do was to shut out the taunts and keep my individuality. It took a while, but I believe that living in Pflugerville made me a stronger and more sympathetic person. After middle school, my parents decided to move to the Westwood High School area in Austin in order to provide me with a more competitive and challenging academic environment. Even though Austin is more diverse and I feel more comfortable living here, there are always people who are bullied because of their uniqueness. Every time I walk past a so-called “nerd,” “dork,” or “goth,” I smile just to show them that I care.

“Don’t let them make you sad,” I said to the little girl. “You are perfect and beautiful just the way you are.”
</code></pre>

<p>That is a great essay! Very touching! The UT campus is pretty liberal...but that doesn't mean the admissions committee will be. I think u did a great job and would be surprised if u didn't get in :)</p>

<p>Lol nice essay. Rofl</p>