business or economics degree

<p>Would a business or economics degree in combination with an engineering degree open up more opportunities in terms of jobs in the future (4-6 years later)?</p>

<p>and do people usually go for MBA right after they get an undergraduate degree?</p>

<p>To answer your first question, I have to know what you are comparing it to. You ask whether it will open up more jobs. More compared to doing what? </p>

<p>As far as your second question, it is extremely rare for a person to get an MBA right after undergrad, especially for the elite MBA programs. At the elite MBA programs like Stanford, HBS, MIT-Sloan, Wharton, Kellogg, and so forth, the percentage of incoming students who came straight out of undergrad rarely if ever exceeds 5%, and is usually substantially smaller than that, The average incoming age at all those schools is about 27-28, and the average incoming work experience is about 5-6 years. And the adcoms place their strongest emphasis on your work experience, and accompanying work references. </p>

<p>If you can get into an elite MBA program right after undergrad, then you should probably go for it. But that's a very big 'if'. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the admit letter. Instead, you should probably work for a few years and build up a solid body of experience. Then, you will be a highly viable candidate.</p>

<p>does haas prefer their own students who want to get into the program? or is it equal chance for all (even if i graduate from berkeley and decide to get into it years later)</p>

<p>I am not aware of any significant advantage for Berkeley students to get into the Haas MBA program. Obviously, most Berkeley alums are California residents, and so the Haas program must preferentially admit such residents. Also there are obviously a lot of Berkeley alumni who want to stay in the Bay Area, so they prefer to go to Haas. But above and beyond that, I don't see any significant advantage for Berkeley alums to get into Haas. </p>

<p>Also, to bolster what I said before, consider this quote from the Haas FAQ
"
What if I just completed my undergraduate program and do not have full-time work experience?
Although not a formal requirement, virtually all of our students have two or more years of professional work experience since the completion of their bachelor's degrees. Over the past 5 years our admitted applicants had on average 5 years of post-university work experience"</p>

<p><a href="http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/MBA/apply_03.html#undergrad%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/MBA/apply_03.html#undergrad&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>