But who will feed the dog?

<p>We've just about finished visiting colleges, though we're still working on figuring out how to get to Kenyon, and there has been an unlooked-for result. D, as I've said before, has picked Swarthmore as her first choice and has decided which of the schools we visited she liked and which she didn't. But while we were looking for colleges she would be happy at, we seem to have also been finding colleges WE would be happy at! H has a BA double majoring in History and English, and now wants to go to Yale for an Art History Degree. I've got a BA in English and now I want to go to Smith (for their older women program) and study Women & Religion. Wouldn't it be loverly if we could both go back to school?</p>

<p>It sounds like you should retire to college communities, as many do, to take advantage of their course offerings.</p>

<p>Agreed with the above poster.</p>

<p>Don't dream of Smith- you've got a BA in liberal arts unless you're talking about getting a PhD in Social Work.</p>

<p>My daughter and I visited Kenyon last summer and after the tour/interview as we headed back to the car, I turned to her and blurted out: "I want to go to school here!" I understand how you feel...</p>

<p>Searchingavalon, agreed! Except that I'm going for the "year abroad" programs! (you can see the expat thread Robyrm has started for me in the Cafe as I moan and gnash my teeth). Seriously, my post-raising-children hopes are to live abroad and learn as many languages as I can.</p>

<p>Searchingavalon, On the "old" CC, I posted about how many colleges and universities are now setting up "retirement communities" either on campus or neaby that allow retirees to take courses and attend campus events - sounds like a great retirement to me. Like patient, I also want to study abroad!!!! I think us baby boomers are going to reinvent college in our older years.</p>

<p>Do you folks yearning to return to college know about the Elder Hostel program? Basically it's a program for retired (or at least "mature") people to go back to college for a week or two at a time.
<a href="http://www.elderhostel.org/welcome/home.asp%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.elderhostel.org/welcome/home.asp&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Carolyn, you and I can go travel together when we're old ;). We can continue our political and religious debates, and you can steady my walker for me. :)</p>

<p>One of my college roommates cracked up (I reported this before on another thread but I'm getting old and repeat myself a lot) when, on a walking tour of Harvard Yard during our reunion, I said, "College is so wasted on the young!"</p>

<p>And despite calling myself old, I think they'll be more successful attracting us if the word "elder" gets replaced by something less, uhm, humiliating :).</p>

<p>Patient:</p>

<p>How 'bout "le troisieme stage" as they say in France? In Eruopre, they're even further ahead of us in catering to that demographic group.</p>

<p>Marite, much better, thank you!! Hope you are well and that you did get my thank you email :). If not. Thanks again.</p>

<p>Patient, yes, I did, thank you. For my part, I would not mind retiring to Aix-en-Provence. Great food, wonderful sight-seeing opportunities, and a good university. Wellesley used to have its study abroad program there. Perhaps it still does.</p>

<p>...my girls and I loved Aix-en-Provence when we went last summer. They had had 2 years of French by that time and were so excited that they could actually "talk" a bit to the saleswomen in the very wonderful teen clothing stores. The center of town that is a pedestrian-only (almost only) center is wonderful. But it was really, really, really hot in the middle of summer. Next time I go I'm going to stay in the Hotel des Augustins--now a kind of boutique hotel built in an old monastery.</p>

<p>We can continue our political and religious debates, and you can steady my walker for me. </p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Seriously, I know just the study abroad program I want to do too. St. Olaf's semester around the world program - six months with a class each in Egypt, Nepal, India, Hong Kong Switzerland, and South Korea: <a href="http://www.stolaf.edu/international/programs/world.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.stolaf.edu/international/programs/world.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>After that, a year studying painting and creative writing in Siena would suit me just fine.</p>

<p>Texas, thanks for that Elder Hostel link. Pantagonia looks interesting....</p>

<p>Not what I expected. We are planning a full day trip tomorrow (3.5 hour drive each way) and of course my wife has arranged for a neighbor to let our dog out several times during the day! </p>

<p>I graduated from a very large (but highly regarded) state university. We are now looking at small to very small LACs for my son. Several times during college visits I have expressed a desire to attend one of these schools. Wow! Professors know their students? Collaborate with undergrads on research? 10 kids in a class? Can I go to school here? I do occasionally dream of being back in college, and of course I am totally lost in the class and have not done any of the work. I always say to myself, "What am I doing here - I have an MBA?" :lol:</p>

<p>The proposition by the OP is something that we have also thought about. After retirement, which isn't all that far in the future, we would consider going abroad to study/experience a different language and culture (e.g., to Germany and enroll in a Goethe Institute), or we could move near my undergrad alma mater and take up the study of the classics -- both things that have enticed us since undergrad days long ago but which we haven't had sufficient opportunity to pursue. Learning something new is one of the great attractions of retirement!</p>

<p>Patient:</p>

<p>The Hotel des Augustins is where I stayed back in the 1970s! It has all mod cons. That's where I was introduced to minibars. I had a great time; I ate frequently at the restaurant Le Mazarin. Since I was staying for a while, the waiter got to know me and would say : "You've already eaten this dish, madame" and would suggest I tried another. I went on a sight-seeing trip to the Gorges du Tarn, visited a famous pottery village, hung out at the local bookstore where there were shelves filled with English-language books left behind by the Wellesley students, and poked into antique stores. I had a great time, but it was in January, not high summer; the weather was really mild.</p>

<p>Marite: I think perhaps just find a milder climate to summer in, that's all. We were also on the Cote d'Azur (friend has villa there) for a while and it was just as sweltering there. But then that was the summer when so many French people died during the heat waves. Let's meet up at the Hotel des Augustins next time :).</p>

<p>Carolyn: I want to go to Holland (my mom's native country) and become fluent in Dutch, then Mexico and become fluent in Spanish, then...Italy. We can meet up there, I'll order the wheelchairs. (Tough on those cobblestones, though....)</p>

<p>If I were choosing from my son's options from last year, I think I would pick Amherst or Pomona. I agree, the small classes and intimate atmosphere of the LACs felt so wonderful. Although I have to say I have hats off to Stanford for making the school feel just as small while offering a wider array of classes, research opportunities, activities on campus, etc. But you have to discount everything I say about the school as I am hopelessly sold on it and biased.</p>

<p>Well, I'm old enough for Elderhostel but H, unfortunately, isn't ready to retire. Learning about those college retirement communities--which sound wonderful!!--reminded me that I need to call the close-by huge university to see if I'm eligible for their summer immersion program in Italian. I can certainly keep learning new things even if I'm not eligible to join an a capella group. I just didn't want to repeat the experience of being a commuter student at college though; but now there's something else to look forward to.</p>

<p>I have had similar feelings when on college visits with my kids. It all seems so great that I want to do it myself. Even when my oldest D asked to visit my alma mater because it sounded appealing to her in books, when we went back, I could see just why I had picked it and found the same college criteria appealing all these years later. </p>

<p>My inlaws are very into lifelong education. The community they live in is in a college town where Skidmore is located and every semester they are enrolled in courses there. They also have traveled to numerous Elder Hostels all over the place yearly. The most recent one they did was in RI so they could visit and see my D at Brown! </p>

<p>One thing I have hoped to do when someday I have more money and more free time (not sure that will happen with two kids' college tuitions to pay off but I can dream)....is to travel, particularly to other countries. So, count me in with the Parent Forum study abroad group. The one thing I felt I gave up when I married young while still in college (rare in my generation) was the semester I had thought I would do abroad. So, I'm still waiting to do it. </p>

<p>Susan</p>