Buying A New (or Used) Car Experience During Supply Chain Shortages

I do know that. In the past, those incentives were far less and varied based on monthly quotas. Typically, the holdback was in the $300+ range, but that was many years ago. Probably more now.

Therefore the dealership made $2,900 from difference between invoivce & MSRP, plus $1,000 market adjustment surcharge, plus $800 holdback from our second car purchase this year = $4,700 dealer earnings on a (pre-tax, license, registration, fees) $40,000 sale. (walk-out price = a bit over $42,000 as fees & taxes equal a bit over $2,000.)

$4,700 = 11.75% of $40,000.

Electric Cars With The Longest Range

1 Like
2 Likes

Here’s a different view of that, the real world ranges. Teslas still do well, but their real world range is much lower than the EPA estimate. Porsche actually is significantly better than the EPA estimate and the Mustang Mach-e is pretty close.

1 Like
2 Likes

Many cars use older obsolete chips, because car companies will just use what works out of their parts bin rather than redesigning something that does not need to be redesigned.

1 Like

At the start of the year, Honda dealers had 20,000 cars on their lots. A year ago, that number was 320,000.

Now GM tells its dealers to stop their dirty tricks or else…

2 Likes

From the article: “ About 40% of US households buy a car every year.”

Can that be right?

Our family certainly isn’t in that 40%, not is anyone in our extended family. The last time we bought a car was 2018. S bought a car that year as well.

My nephew bought a car this year. He’s the only one I know who bought one this year. They sold his car when they moved from SF to HNL.

I also found that statement difficult to believe.

My thought is that folks are keeping cars for many years–often more than a decade-- before buying a new car/suv/truck.

I find it hard to believe also…but maybe households include multiple people…all getting cars at different times.

Still…in the Thumper family, this surely is not the case.

1 Like

After thinking about that statement do you think it was trying to say that 40% of US cars are turned over in a year? Not that some households buy a new car every year?

Certainly not for us. We buy used cars and keep them for many years before doing it all over again.

1 Like

The claim that 40% of US households buy a car every year is demonstrably false. According to US Census, there’re at least 126m households in US. There has never been more than 18m cars sold in the US each year.

1 Like

It says cars, not just new cars. In 2020 there were 39 million used cars sold in the US. Add that to the new cars and we’re past 55 million.

2 Likes

That makes sense.

1 Like

Is that supposed to mean:

1. Every year, about 40% of US households buy a car.
  2. About 40% of US households are yearly car buyers.

?

Meaning 1 seems more plausible than meaning 2.

Note that “car” may not necessarily be “new car”.

1 Like