Calculator Alarm!

<p>I only have a scientific calculator and a graphing is pretty expensive.Nobody I know has a graphing calc so its impossible to buy it.
Is is really necessary to have a graphing calculator or would a scientific suffice?</p>

<p>For which test?</p>

<p>Math Level 2</p>

<p>could somebody please help?? coz there are so many views in just an hour and nobody bothered to reply :(</p>

<p>Umm I rely on my grapher for at least a third of the problems..... its that important for me. Btw it takes awhile for you to get used to a graphing calculator, as they are quite complex</p>

<p>I think it is pretty necessary. Unless you are really really good at mind math. If anything at all try finding a used one at amazon.com or may be borrow a graphing calculator from ur math teacher, I am sure they will lend you if you beg.</p>

<p>There are a few calc rental places online. Since son's HS provided them during the school year, we just rented for one month for the SAT or ACT whichever he took during the summer...it was like $8 with shipping for the months rental - worked out great.</p>

<p>Or you could buy one and be set for highschool and college, its worth the 80. You don't know what you've been missing til you get one.</p>

<p>Quote
"I think it is pretty necessary. Unless you are really really good at mind math."</p>

<p>I am pretty good at math overall.Isnt the only advantage a graphing calculator can provide over a scientific -that it can provide u with a graph of an eqn? Other than that does it give any help?</p>

<p>Qoute
"There are a few calc rental places online."</p>

<p>Um i think thats only for americans...not in my country(i already chekd).
So the thing is...is it reallly that necessary,if yes,then i'll buy it.(i wanted an opinion sar8 from the horse's mouth,from those who are giving the test,do you think it will be useful l8r also or does it have a one time use?)</p>

<p>Thank you all for ur advice bdw :)</p>

<p>Try taking some practice tests and see how much you can get with just a scientific calculator. A graphing calculator isn't necessary, but is very helpful for the test. If you aren't planning on using it in college, buying one for only this test is a waste in my opinion.</p>

<p>Ive taken PR,official and Petersons and ive gotten 780 and above(on PR and official) and only 800's(on petersons).
Until now I havent required a graph calc.However what if i encounter some questions that do require it? eg. I havnt tried Barrons and wont be able 2 also :( coz its all sold out.and 2 get it shipped will take longer than 5th Jun.
Could you please tell me if the questions in Barron's are very different than PR etc? coz im really worried about that too!</p>

<p>Im planning on doing economics hons with a minor in math probably.Wud a graphing calc be needed there?
Thanks for ur advice :)</p>

<p>You really would want to have a graphing calc with you, not because the problems are not do-able, but because you can do them so much faster through the graphing calculator.</p>

<p>Instead of solving algebraically by hand, a intercept function takes care of that within 2 seconds, saving you valuable time if you're restricted on the Math II section (most people are)</p>

<p>And i would gernerally say you will need the calc in the future if you plan on coming to the US, though TI-89 is not recommended because several exams banns them.</p>

<p>you mean questions asking x-intercepts? Just put y=0 and solve. You mean we should do an elementary thing lyk that wid a calculator?</p>

<p>If the TI-89 is not recommended 4 long term use...then wich is?</p>

<p>There are lots of problems like what is the limit, what is the domain/range, where does x approach, etc. that are, at least for me, annoying and hard to visualize unless I have a calculator graph it in 2 seconds.</p>

<p>oh.ok.i can do dose types manually. :)
Use calc(limits nd continuity)</p>

<p>Don't worry about Barron's, as the practice tests are much harder there. If you're not really dying for an 800 (750+ is fine with you) then you should be fine without a graphing calculator.</p>

<p>it can also solve equations for you (ti89).</p>

<p>solve(3^.345x=480.54,x) and it finds x for you in one second</p>

<p>I think it's pretty necessary. There are going to be questions where they'll ask you for the sin(23.45432) in degrees, and it's VERY time consuming to do that by hand/if there even is a way to do that by hand.
Also, solving equations, adding/subtracting/multiplying/dividing decimals, graphing, etc will all be catalyzed by the use of a graphing calculator.
I got a 760 on Math II in May, and I think I used it on 50-60% of the problems.</p>