California in-state tuition

<p>My daughter is currently going to International HS & is planning to college in CA this year. She turn 18 before June. I am currently working overseas & is exempt from CA tax. However, my husband is back in CA & pays CA income tax due to CA community property. Does my daughter qualify for in-state tuition if she goes to UC schools based on my husband's residence status since she is older than 18 when she starts college? What is the proof to show my husband's residence? THanks</p>

<p>Here is the UCLA policy</p>

<p>UCLA</a> Registrar's Office: Residence Classification for Tuition Purposes FAQ</p>

<p>before 18</p>

<p>"What residence rules apply to minors?</p>

<p>For an unmarried minor (under age 18), the residence of the parent with whom you live is considered to be your residence. If you have a parent living, you cannot change your residence by your own act, by the appointment of a legal guardian, or by the relinquishment of your parent's right of control. If you live with neither parent, your residence is that of the parent with whom you last lived. If you derive California residence from a parent, that parent must satisfy the one-year duration residence requirement. For more details, see the Minors section."</p>

<p>It might matter who she was last living with,</p>

<p>"What if my parents are divorced or separated?</p>

<p>You may be able to derive California status from a California resident parent if you move to California to live with that parent on or before your 18th birthday. If you begin residing with your California parent after your 18th birthday, you will be treated like any other adult student coming to California to establish residence."</p>

<p>Or that she is already 18.</p>

<p>Your daughter's age really doesn't matter for college purposes. She is a resident of another country right she is living with you. She is not a resident of CA. She cannot establish residency in CA while she is attending colleges at the UCs or most of the Cal States. She MIGHT be able to do so at a community college but that would vary by school somewhat. She WOULD have to pay OOS costs at the CC if she went LEAST for the first year.</p>

<p>Your daughter is in the same boat as many others who reside with their parent abroad. Her place of residence is NOT CA (or any other state) and she will not likely qualify for instate tuition.</p>

<p>Thumper, if dad lives in CA, and meets residency requirements, what if she moved in with him before she turned 18? Just curious.</p>

<p>That might mean a waiver.</p>

<p><a href=""&gt;;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>The OP says the kid will be 18 before June and presumably wants to finish high school where she is. That being the case...I would say...instate residency is unlikely.</p>

<p>However, it seems like this is a married couple and only the HUSBAND is living in CA. That being the case, I'm not sure how CA would deal with the residency issue. But the KID does not currently reside in CA. She resides in another country with her other parent. Seems to me that is her place of residency.</p>

<p>The best thing the OP can do is contact the specific CA public universities in question and ask THEM about the residency issue. These schools have dealt with it all. They will know the answer...and it could vary by school.</p>

Your daughter is in the same boat as many others who reside with their parent abroad. Her place of residence is NOT CA (or any other state) and she will not likely qualify for instate tuition.


<p>I would like to qualify the above by saying that while true in California and for the OP, who qualifies for in-state tuition seems to vary by state and doesn't always require one to be actually living in the state. One example that came to mind was for Washington, if parents are divorced. In this particular case, a child could be overseas but if one parent is claiming the child as a dependent (which is up to the parents, so long as only one makes the claim), and one parent lives in the state, the child can get instate residency. </p>

Students whose parents or legal guardians are either divorced or legally separated may be classified as residents if the following conditions are met:</p>

<p>The students are claimed as a dependent on the most recent U.S. Federal Income Tax return by one of the parents/legal guardians.
At least one parent or legal guardian has established a bona fide domicile in the State of Washington.


<p>I just wanted to mention that so those in other states might want to check on the particular rules that apply to them.</p>

<p>Starbright is correct for OTHER states...The best thing anyone can do in these circumstances is to contact the specific public universities in the state. In some states, the residency requirements actually vary by university and are not uniform for all public universities in the state.</p>

<p>That's why i prefaced my link with the fact it was for UCLA. I think the UC's wording varies slightly by campus, but each UC will be very specific if you google "residency for tuition purposes" by campus, and read every single link. They are a little different from the CSU's, and the CCC's vary as well.</p>

<p>She would have to appeal, but most likely would be successful as long as dad is helping to support. From Cal's website:</p>

<p>"Dependent Child of a California Resident Parent:</p>

<p>If you have not been an adult resident of California for more than one year and you are a dependent child of a California resident parent who has been a resident for more than one year immediately before the residence determination date, you may be entitled to a waiver of the Nonresident Supplemental Tuition until you have resided in California for the minimum time necessary to become a resident as long as you maintain continuous attendance at an educational institution."</p>

<p>Note: while I agree with Shrinkrap that each UC has different wording, UC tuition policy is derived from the same State Educ Code and Orders of the Regents. In theory, the answer should be the same at every campus. Of course, a campus can bend/stretch the rules. :)</p>