Can I get into an Ivy with straight B's Freshman Year?

<p>Can I get into an Ivy with straight B's Freshman Year? I didnt get any other B's the rest of HS. Can I still get it since I had this upward trend? My overall GPA is still high. Do you know anyone who didnt get A's and got into an Ivy?</p>

<p>Umm id say if you invented Cold Fusion or cured a form of cancer, you might hav a chance. However, if the ivy does take into account freshman year grades and you arent hooked, I'd try to find some other schols you like.</p>

<p>Depends on the school you go to and what else you have done. I have heard and do believe that your high school performance is the most important thing considered in admissions, but as always not every situation is looked at the same way. If you have really grown and have done great things since freshman year, there is no reason that you should let one bad year prevent you from applying to schools that you really want to go to. Of course you should be realistic and look at other schools that are targets or safeties, but if you are willing to take the risk, apply to the ivies that you really like. The ivies are unpredictable with everyone. I get the impression that even people who happen to get into several ivies were not necessarily guaranteed to get into all them, it just so happened that something on their application appealed to all of the schools. Maybe this trait wasn't even clearly visible on a one page resume. That is what many people tend to forget. You are not just a list of scores and extracurriculars. There's no context in that. Even if you did get the best grades in your school, can your GPA/grades really reveal that teachers think you are a truly thoughtful person who is motivated to learn and share your knowledge with others? Or maybe you just did your homework and performed well on tests but only did what was asked of you to get a certain grade without going above and beyond. That is what teacher recommendations and essays are for. When I talked to my regional admissions representative, she even said that two kids from the same school mentioned each other in their essays.
So while it is very important to make sure you have excellent test scores and grades, it doesn't guarantee anything. It may not be very likely that you will get into an ivy, but it is like that for everyone.
Also, in regards to what I said about what school you go to, every school has its own grading system. I went to a highly competitive public school that is sending over 35 kids to ivies this year and many others kids to schools like MIT, Stanford, Johns Hopkins, U of C, Wash U, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Duke, Amherst, Williams, Swarthmore, Middlebury, etc. We do not have official rank, however no one in the class (a very large class) has a 4.0 with the most challenging courses. The one kid who people think may be unofficially ranked number one who got into Harvard, Princeton, and Yale does not have a 4.0. In fact, there are a lot of people who think the school practices grade deflation. In one of the AP junior English classes which probably had over 20 kids, only one kid got an A. There are some schools I have heard of with 15 kids tied for val because they all have 4.0s. If you have taken a challenging curriculum at my school, you could potentially have a 3.5 unweighted and still be in the top decile (unofficially done by weighted GPA). The grading upsets some people because they think that even though a kid is incredibly smart, they will not be able to get into an ivy because they won't have the grades. But I personally think that most colleges know that there are schools like this and if a lot of kids from your school applied in the past, it is likely that a school like Penn would actually be quite familiar with your school's grading policy.</p>