Can i get my core classes at a community college?

<p>i want to major in aerospace engineering at ut austin or texas a&m. Im a junior in highschool and i dont know everything about how college works. ppl have been saying that i should get my core classes done at community college then go to the university. But ive looked at this before and i think remeber something about if Im going to major enginnerring I couldnt get my credits at a community college or that it might cause me to take even longer in college, idk for sure something like that. I just wanted to get this cleared up because my parents really want me to go to community college first. </p>

<p>If nobody minds answering my question i would really appreciate any help plz</p>

<p>Check with UT and A&M and find out what their policies are for transferring credits. It should be easier than it used to be because Texas has set up some system to make sure college classes will meet specific requirements for all public schools. The problem is that some community college classes may technically meet the requirement but the students find that they aren't prepared for the next level of classes at UT. That's why you should check with UT and A&M first and then decide which classes to take at the community college.</p>

<p>Yes, by all means check the UT-Austin and A&M websites for the guidelines for engineering transfers. In other states, universities maintain 'Guaranteed Transfer Agreements' with various local community colleges. The GTAs list the coursework required for admission to university. Requirements vary. Keep in mind that some engineering schools don't mandate that you have an Associate of Science degree to be awarded admission with Junior standing.</p>

<p>Check the Engineering thread here at the Discussion session on CC. You'll get good advice.</p>

<p>Texas public universities should have pre-made articulation agreements with Texas community colleges; try searching for "transfer credit" at their web sites.</p>

<p>I just looked at the UT engineering transfer information. It looks like even if UT accepts the credits in general, engineering doesn't have to apply them to your degree common course numbering system or not. There's a list of recommended courses for transfer but with some qualification that really makes it seem like an adviser could pretty easily reject them. There's also a warning about engineering transfer being very competitive. You should probably track down someone in engineering who can tell which courses and from which schools they are likely to accept.</p>

<p>Make sure you take the correct classes. Yes, gen eds. but you don't want to fall behind in engineering curriculum. Started at a 4 year school for engineering after 2 years at a CC may not be the best choice. Other than cost, is there a reason you don't want to apply/attend UT or A&M from the start?</p>

<p>It depends on the community college - what their course offerings are, and what their articulation agreement is. With engineering, I think you should expect to need an extra semester to complete a 4 year degree, because during your 2nd year your course of study at A&M (or wherever) will probably include specialized classes that the CC won't have. You end up either having to double up on the harder major classes, or take more time to get the degree. See Engineering</a> Articulation Agreements</p>

my parents really want me to go to community college first.

Rather than diving into specifics about articulation agreements and the like, IMHO this is the most important issue. Why do they want you to go to a CC? To save money? To keep you at home? Some other reason?</p>