Can I live at home and go to this college?

I was wondering: how far can you usually live away from a college and still be able to live off campus. There are a few colleges that I am looking at, but living off campus is a huge role in my choosing.

Very much varies by college. Some have first year dorm requirements. This would be found on the individual college websites under housing typically.

Also depends on what your parents are willing to pay for. If your college is close to home would they pay for off campus housing or expect you to commute?

I would live with them for a while.

Is an hour and a half too long a commute? There are colleges closer to home, but not for what I want from college.

Hour and a half of driving? That is too long a commute for sure. Lots of cost, driving time, and is winter weather a thing where you are?

If it was on public transportation and you can be doing homework while riding it would be better but far from ideal.

2 Likes

ofcourse you can. Why not!

Because carving out 3 hours of downtime every single day from a college student is likely to be very, very impactful on the student’s chance for success.

1 Like

I was wondering because I can’t afford to live at a college dorm (I don’t play sports and realistically, I probably won’t get a merit scholarship), and I was thinking that I could do school work on the bus. But I realize now that it isn’t realistic or ideal for my life, so I’ll look at other options. Thanks!