Can I take out a federal student loan without my parents finding out?

<p>They "awarded" me $3,500 in subsidized federal student loans. I don't need anywhere near as much, I'd ask for $1,000 most likely. </p>

<p>The reason for this is that my folks told me I couldn't take them out in order to prevent future debt. However, I'm a freshman working two part-time jobs already going to school full time. I desperately need a laptop since my desktop is on its last legs. They're advising I work for it, but its impossible to make any headway right now. </p>

<p>SO I'm thinking of taking out the $1000 fed student loan. Will they find out?</p>

<p>It's possible. Even likely. Do they have access to your bursar bill and billing statements? Loans will appear there. I think the 1098T we got every year for tax purposes also mentioned loan amounts. Even though the 1098T is your tax document, it is likely your parents will need it for tax purposes. Also you will be sent statements periodically and the envelope the statements arrive make it quite clear that they relate to federal student loans.</p>

<p>I don't believe the 1098T from all schools lists loans...I know ours did not (for either kiddo).</p>

<p>BUT as noted, the disbursement of this loan will appear on your bursars account. In addition, you will likely receive some snail mail at home even if you sign up for only online services.</p>

<p>Since your parents do not want you to have any debt (which is not a bad thing, by the way), have you asked them if they can help you buy a new computer?</p>