Can my godmother be considered as my legal guardian for in-state pay?

<p>I live in California, but I want to go to UMich.
My godmother and her family live there, and assuming I get accepted, could I consider her as my legal guardian who is paying for my tuition. Since she lives in Michigan, would she be able to pay for me at the in-state cost and my parents could reimburse her or something.
Wanted insight from parents sending kids to college who may have some insight.
Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>no. you could not. </p>

<p>first for instate you must live there for 1 year and have proof of doing so and second your legal gaurdiens are your parents.</p>

<p>Being a godmother is not a legal relationship, it is a religious one. Even legal family relationships, such as an aunt/uncle or sibling, or even grandparents, will not give you residency. Trying to be declared someone's legal ward for tuition purposes will not work.</p>

<p>No. Your residency is based on that of your parents. You cannot use your godmother, or even an actual family member such as a grandparent, to try and achieve instate tuition in a state other than your true state of residency. </p>

<p>And you cannot become an instate resident by attending school in Michigan for a year. The only way for you to become instate for Michigan is for your parents and you to move there at least a year before you start college.</p>

<p>Or you could move there alone once you are a legally an adult and work full time for a year- losing that year of college since you wouldn't have time to also be a student. Public colleges/universities are very aware of ways people try to avoid OOS tuition and are tough about it.</p>

<p>Surely U Mich has something on their website that explains their policy/criteria re: qualifying for instate tuition. Living with a godparent won't be one of the criteria. Sorry. No way.</p>

<p>could only one of my parents live in michigan for a year?
my dad's job is in shanghai and would not be able to move to michigan.</p>

<p>In another post you wrote this:</p>

<p>
[quote]
I have cousins in Michigan that could be considered my guardians on the app,

[/quote]
No, they could not be considered your guardians (same situation as the godmother, if one of them is not your godmother, which you are asking about on this thread).</p>

<p>Here is U Mich's residency requirement:
Residency</a> - Office of the Registrar</p>