Can someone please analyse my application??

<p>Hey guyz,.I would be very grateful if you could analyze my application . I am an international student with an Indian citizenship. I am applying regular action. Can you please tell me what you think my chances are?</p>

<p>▬SAT
▬Subject Test
Physics- 800
Math II- 800</p>

<p>▬GPA and rank- High school doesnt provide it..
I have had a rigorous curriculum that emphasized science, more of Physics, Chemistry, Maths</p>

<p>▬Awards:
None</p>

<p>▬EC activities
Rifle Shooter State level champion
Community service 3 hours a week
Employed at Dental clinic as an head assistant for 3 months</p>

<p>And Yes im one of those guys, preparing for IIT JEE. And im in one of its kind and craziest college in Mumbai that has almost zero extra curricular activities..
My recommendation letters are brilliant, Both are from PhD graduates of IIT( I think dat should give an edge,will it??). </p>

<p>Basically I am very good academically but that doesnt apply for EC's. What do You think of my chances??
thanks for your help!</p>

<p>If I have to be brutally honest - on the lower end of the 7% typical Yale admissions rate...</p>

<p>Most of the people that do apply to Yale will have similar academic statistics...
What makes you a unique candidate, though, are your extracurricular activities and essays.</p>

<p>If I were you, I would not underestimate the importance of the rifle competitions, the service and the dental clinic job...</p>

<p>Just watch out how you present yourself.
Sometimes people make great accomplishments sound dumb and not compelling; sometimes people make average accomplishments sound great and meaningful. Be of the second type. </p>

<p>Where I am getting is that you ARE academically qualified to attend Yale - just as most of the applicants are. However, make sure that you present your activities in an interesting way, showing commitment, progress and development of certain skills. Considering that you don't have a huge list (which shows depth and is not necessarily bad), if I were you, I would dedicate one of my essays entirely on one of the activities in order to show that what I have done is not just a list of some college application boosters, but activities that matter to me. </p>

<p>Your essays will play an important role as well - make sure you don't bomb them...</p>

<p>PS: About the recs and the Ph.D. - no one will care. As long as the recommendation is meaningful, well-written and doesn't incarnate an extremely trite collection of generic superlatives, you will be fine. It's the text and the details in the rec that matter, not the title of the person who wrote it. I am sure, in some cases, a good high school English teacher can generally write a better recommendation than a college pure mathematics professor. Having said that, I would also add that a rec from a well-known politician/figure (who knows you well and doesn't regurgitate hackneyed attributes) might be a "deal maker".</p>

<p>

Would it be wise if I write about my love for books and how it was the only option for me gain knowledge, in the extra curricular essay section??? Though i can write about rifle shooting, but I think the books describe the "real me" properly. And also I've read almost a hundred books on physics like Resnick Halliday Krane, HC Verma , IE irodov, SS Krotov , John Taylor, University Physics and many more, and I've taken University level courses of physics independently from an IIT alumni to satisfy my curiosity. If I write about books I'll be definitely able to mention these things but if I write about rifle shooting, I dont think I'll be able convey the above to the admission office. Pls help :confused:</p>

<p>To be perfectly honest, Engineering, Physics or Math at Yale is not as strong as at the IIT. If you get in to both, you should probably choose the IIT.</p>