Can someone tell me if my mom has filed her tax return or she just did her taxes?

<p>So, my mom told me she did her taxes today.
Does this mean she filed her IRS tax return for 2012 or does this mean she just simply did her annual taxes?</p>

<p>I would appreciate feedback because I need this information for financial aid application.</p>

<p>“Have your parents filed 2012’s IRS Tax Return?”
-Have filed
-Will file
-Not going to file</p>

<p>and there are many sub questions that ask about adjusted gross income and her savings and how much she got taxed and all those general tax questions.</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Ask you mom if she e filed and ask her for a copy of the return.</p>

<p>Ask your mother. How could we possibly know?</p>

<p>“Filed” means either submitted via the internet or mailed in. If she did her taxes on paper and they are not yet mailed, then you would check “will file”. </p>

<p>I still do mine on paper and wait about a week to double-check everything before mailing them…</p>

<p>

Use computer to do your taxes and print the returns. This way you don’t have to spend a week to worry about addition & subtraction or copy the numbers wrong.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I’m sure KKmama is aware of the existence of computers. (Her posts on this forum would seem to indicate such.) She nonetheless opts to do her tax returns by hand. That’s her choice . . . as is yours to use a computer.</p>

<p>If this is for the CSS Profile or FAFSA, and due today, then you should put “will file” - even if she e-filed yesterday there won’t be any record of it.</p>

<p>If this is for a specific college and it’s self-reporting, then ask your mom for a copy of the taxes to get those numbers. As soon as she has the completed paper copy (either from software or completed by hand), you can use them as the final numbers.</p>

<p>I am in a similar situation - I received my tax forms back from the accountant and faxed back the e-file authorization. So my part is done. But the day he got the fax may not be the day he clicked “send” and the IRS may not have processed immediately anyway.</p>

<p>So I’m not sure today if my taxes have officially been filed according to the IRS. On the FAFSA I would say “will file.” But I did fax those paper copies to a few colleges, because they are the final numbers.</p>

<p>You can still file FAFSA with a tax status of “Filed” even if the e-file process hasn’t been completed with the IRS. There’s an option on FAFSA to indicate that you filed within the past 3 weeks, and if you select that option then you don’t have to use the IRS retrieval function to automatically fill in your income information. You just enter income and tax information manually on FAFSA using your paper (or PDF) copy of your 1040.</p>

<p>Confetti, why did you fax the numbers to the colleges? You update the FAFSA OR the college will do so with the IRS tool. </p>

<p>You can meet the initial submission deadlines with a “will file” status on both the FAFSA and Profile. Then amend ASAP.</p>

<p>OP, just ask your mom if she mailed or e-filed her taxes. If so, you can safely check “filed”.</p>

<p>OK, I’m phobic about taxes. Clergy taxes are ridiculously confusing and half the time the IRS is wrong (my church treasurer battled the IRS just last week because the online employer filing they operate wouldn’t let her report my income as not being subject to SS/Medicare - I wish it were so I didn’t have to pay the full freight as self-employment tax…). I like having something on paper and double and triple checking things before hitting that “send” button. And I’m almost guaranteed an audit for 2012 because with my husband’s termination and the help of generous family and an auto accident settlement I paid 16K for health insurance on a salary of 35K… so all my ducks have to be in a perfectly straight row this year.</p>