Can we appeal for NJ in-state tuition in second year ?


My daughter has got admitted in Rutgers as out of state resident and I also got transfer my job in NJ, so we are thinking to move in July 2015. So after completion of one year can I appeal for in-state tuition for 2nd year and onward .

(We were in NJ till last year June 2014. My daughter has completed only senior year in Texas. We are thinking Rutgers as first choice compare to UTD Texas because its academically very strong and good for Engineering)

I will be highly appreciate if anyone could give us suggestions or information


I will preface this info as someone who reviews residency petitions in CO so I am by no means an expert in other states but hopefully can give you an idea of where to start. Our state legislation regarding higher education tuition states that parents of dependents who are currently students must have established state ties. For instance: driver’s license/state ID, paying in state taxes if your state requires them, car registration, and other proof that you plan on staying in the state long term and are “contributing” to the state’s revenue which is what grants state residents the ability for in state tuition. I would recommend starting off by contacting the office that reviews tuition appeals. This is often done through the Registrar Office. I would highly suggest NOT assuming that you qualify for in state tuition just that you’ve resided in that state. This is one of the most common issues I see. People move and assume just residing here qualifies them. But, like I said, I work at a CO state university. Our residency requirements are more stringent than others but definitely check before the start of fall classes. The process can be time consuming and census date or the first day of class is the cut off to adjust tuition and is 99% not retroactive if you could’ve tried earlier and didn’t. I hope that helps.

If you go to the Rutgers website they have a section that explains who qualifies for in-state tuition. It is governed by state law and you have to meet the test for proving your “domicile” state is NJ based on a list of factors.