Can you go from being an out of state student to being an in state student?

<p>Well the title says it all, and if so how can it be done</p>

<p>It varies by state, but it's generally not easy. You have to prove that your primary purpose in moving to the state is NOT to get in-state tuition (which, of course, it is). This can mean things like: living and/or working fulltime in the state for a year before you apply, getting a drivers license or registering to vote in the state, proving financial independence from your parents.</p>

<p>If you're a dependent student (that is, under 24), it's effectively impossible to gain residency unless you can prove that you're completely financially independent of your parents.</p>

<p>ditto LasMa.</p>

<p>it all depends on the particular state, even the particular system within the state. In CA it is pretty much impossible at UC schools but apparently possible at the CSU schools and community colleges</p>

<p>All true above. Here are the typical decision points for those who grant in-state classification:</p>

<p>Did the person come to the state primarily for educational purposes?
To prove that they didn't, were they settled here at least 12 months prior to enrolling?
If they're 24 or older, are they self-supportng? Do they have a sufficient income to provide for themselves without financial help from others?
If they're 23 or younger, what have their parents done? Have they moved to the state more than 12 months ago and generated a sufficient income to provide for themselves without financial help from others?
If the student is under 23 and maintains that they're independent, are they the 1 in 1,000 who can demonstrate that they receive no assistance from anyone else and have the financial means to be an independent, self-supporting taxpayer? Do they claim themselves on their state taxes or are they claimed by someone else?</p>