Can you really go wrong?

<p>A lot of people here are trying to decide between two great schools, such as St. Paul's vs. Deerfield. My question is, can you really go wrong? Those schools accepted you because they thought you had the ability to excel in their programs, and though it's true you can have flaws, such as procrastination (like me, I'm actually supposed to be reading a book for Spanish right now), which can ruin you, but as long as you focus you'll be okay. Do you think that's true? That in the end whatever you choose will be a good choice since you can't really go wrong in the 1st place when you're deciding between two of the best schools in the U.S.?</p>

<p>Neither school would seal a fate of eternal damnation or anything horrible like that, but I think that you could have a better experience socially at one, depending on which school fits you better. The variable wouldnt be better academics, but rather the connection you make when visiting either play.</p>

<p>(place*, sorry about that!)</p>

<p>Sofi, having been through BS application process, I, as a parent, would think that there is a lot more to care and to know than simply comparing the schools' avg SAT scores, colleage maticulation history, endowment sizes or % of post bacher degreed faculties etc. becase my kid is going there and spend all of his life for next four years. This is very important committment I and my kid make in his and my life. In addition to all the external factors, I do care about my kid's happiness as everyone does in this forum, but, we simply do not discuss it as much. I think we should talk about more about, since everyone now has their choices to make, how students life is like at each school, are they happy where they are, what would they like to change if possible etc. Everyone should remember that the choices you make will last next four or three years and will also impact the rest of your life since your best friends will be probably your classmates or roomates at these schools. Wish all good luck to you all!!</p>

<p>RTD344 -- That is true. There is so much discussion on prestige, rankings, etc. and very little discussion about the boarding life. And yet, the boarding life, more than academics, is what makes each school unique. They are boarding schools -- a home away from home. What kind of "family" does each school offer?</p>

<p>For some students, it's probably true that you can't go wrong. My younger child looked at five schools, loved them all (though there are differences in terms of size, academic intensity, housing options - single vs double, choice of sports). She would probably do quite well adjusting to and thriving in each school's community. She plans to attend a few revisits to help clarify the merits of each and find out which one "feels right" to her.</p>

<p>My older child is already in BS and, in her case, I think the choice of school was fairly important. For sports, she needed a larger school (more depth in the sports she's interested in). Also some of the larger schools offered more flexibility in terms of academics: she was able to catch up in math (there was no option to accelerate in 8th grade math at her old school) in order to achieve her goal of completing AP Calculus in HS. Also, in languages, she has been able to complete four years of a language in three years - an option that is not necessarily available at all schools. Some schools even offer the option of studying two years of a language in one year.</p>

<p>So, in other word, when considering different schools, it's helpful to look closely at the academic curriculum, the EC programs you might be interested in, and whatever else seems important (housing, weekend social life). Depending on an individual student's goals, one school may offer a better match than another school that in many ways seems comparable.</p>

<p>Sofi -- I think you are correct, provided that the original list of schools the student and parents selected was well chosen, you probably can't go wrong.</p>

<p>However -- revisits and deeper analysis can help the student make the best choice. Once you have some choices on the table, it is time to look truly in-depth at a school (and ask all those detailed questions you didn't feel you could ask when you were applying). Questions that are important to you and your family. Things that might make the difference between a great BS experience and a fantastic one.</p>

<p>But you are correct -- there really shouldn't be much pressure at this point.</p>