can you still be admitted if you have a grade of F

<p>Can you still be admitted as a graduate student if you got a grade of F(only 1 subject/course) while being an undergraduate? Will it harm your application status (immediately rejected)? Will it decrease your chance?</p>


<p>You can still be admitted, although, all things considered, it’s better not to have an F at all.</p>

<p>Whether the F will substantially impact your application will depend on the course you failed (better if it’s not related to the subject you are applying to study as a graduate student), the circumstances (better if there was a good reason for it), and the timing of the F (better as a freshman than as a senior).</p>

<p>Thanks for your reply</p>

<p>Do you know any graduate student at MIT who had an F during their undergraduate years? Im worried these days</p>

<p>No, I don’t. But grad students don’t generally talk about their undergraduate grades.</p>

<p>At most colleges and universities, including MIT, undergraduates can repeat a failed class, and the subsequent grade will replace the F in the GPA calculation.</p>

<p>@CalAlum, but as far as i know, the F will still appear at the official transcript.</p>

<p>Both the F and the new grade will be included in the GPA calculation (both will appear on the transcript).</p>

<p>[GPA</a> Calculation and Unit Conversion: MIT Office of the Registrar](<a href=“Registration & Academics | MIT Registrar”>Registration & Academics | MIT Registrar)</p>

<p>@CalAlum: At MIT, that is not true.</p>


[MIT</a> Course Catalog: Academic Procedures](<a href=“Welcome! < MIT”>Welcome! < MIT)</p>

<p>^ Thanks for the correction. I think in most universities the F always remains on the transcript, but I hadn’t read MIT’s policy carefully enough to understand that repeating a failed class and getting an A could only bring the mean GPA effectively up to a C for the repeated course. Ouch.</p>

<p>Ouch indeed. =(</p>