Career Options?

<p>Closing in on the last few months of high school I've decided that i'll be double majoring accounting and business management at Bluffton University next fall. I should be able to obtain both degrees in about 3 years because I've already obtained 40 college credits from a local community college. I feel a bit lost in my career options though. I am a well above average student and I want to take my career as far as possible with my education. I plan on getting my masters degree from a larger top school to help my recruiting opportunities for a job. My biggest question is, do I have to live in a large city to make a healthy salary and move up in accounting/finance/business. I live in a rural area and I love it, I can't imagine myself in a big city. Do you guys think this is something i'll learn more about later on in my life before I graduate. Also what career options do you think are the best in a small town scenario. Work towards becoming a controller/president of finance, or work towards opening my own accounting business? I feel like I have the potential to be great in this field, but do not want to relocate from my family. </p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Depending on what you want to specifically do will determine what location would suit you best. Remember, if you want to have your own business and get your own clients, you have to have a good base. If you live in the country and there aren’t a lot of people around you might not have the chance to obtain as many customers as you would being in a large city. Also remember that if there is another business close to you in an area like that, you will have to compete very hard.</p>

<p>Another option though would be to live outside, but within reasonable distance of a bigger city…that way you can live in the rural area you like and work and make good money.</p>

<p>do most people work for a few years and jump to a different employer or is it better to stay with one place.</p>

<p>The good news for you is that more and more jobs allow for remote working. Sometimes you never have to go into the office, and sometimes just occassionally. I have a friend who is a financial analyst for IBM and he works completely from home. He can go use an office if he wants, but is never required to. And with technology moving the way it is, these options are going to be increasing. This is great news for those who want to live in rural areas, or even overseas.</p>

<p>As far as job hopping goes, you don’t want to do it too much. And if you are getting promotions and enjoying your job, then don’t even think about it. The best times to switch jobs are when you can jump to a higher position on the corporate ladder or if you are just not happy with your current position. But if you overdo it, people may be reluctant to hire you.</p>

<p>Really? That’s awesome. So essentially if I wanted to work in Columbus or Cincinnati there is a good chance I could and work from home at the same time?</p>